Side Light Fuse

disco_al

The electrical gremlins are starting to nibble at the ES. The fuse for the O/S rear tail lamp (the one in the bumper) has started to blow on a regular basis, which is annoying, as it also takes out the dash illumination when it goes :angry:

it's not an instant blow as soon as the lights are switched on, last night it took a good 5-10 minutes before it popped (after replacing it again)

are there any pointers as to where the problem could possibly be?

The electrical gremlins are starting to nibble at the ES. The fuse for the O/S rear tail lamp (the one in the bumper) has started to blow on a regular basis, which is annoying, as it also takes out the dash illumination when it goes :angry:

it's not an instant blow as soon as the lights are switched on, last night it took a good 5-10 minutes before it popped (after replacing it again)

are there any pointers as to where the problem could possibly be?

I'll kick off the list with corroded socket / corroded wiring in area of said tail light.

I'll kick off the list with corroded socket / corroded wiring in area of said tail light.

hmmm good starting point - although now the weather has turned wet, i think i'll take the bulbs out of the bumoper lights for now, and investigate in the dry.

hmmm good starting point - although now the weather has turned wet, i think i'll take the bulbs out of the bumoper lights for now, and investigate in the dry.

If it still blows the fuse with no bulb then it must be wiring, so it could be at any point where the wirng could chafe (including in the back of the fusebox). Can you disconnect the bumper lights from the others? Might narrow things down too.

Happy hunting.

mine did this and it was the wiring chaffing where it went across the body mounts on it's way to the bumper.

sometimes it would be fine then when driving it would rub and short blowing the fuse other times it would be fine for ages.

check the wires to make sure that none are chaffed at all as it could still short out if it touches, just wrap some insulation tape round the wires, mine seemed to be stretched quite tight before i removed and re routed them after insulating them and all has been fine since.

one other thing is i had a similar fault with the drivers side indicators which turned out to be (as i think someone has already said) wet mud in the tow bar socket giving a low resistance resulting in very dim indicators, heating up of the flasher relay and eventual blowing of the fuse.

mine did this and it was the wiring chaffing where it went across the body mounts on it's way to the bumper.

problem solved, it had done exactly the same. live wire had rubbed through on the body mount and was shorting out.