300TDI Lift Pump Test?

eddyoz

Treated the Discovery to some new rear shocks.Whilst the wheel was off decided to change the filter which had been fitted to the sedimenter ie longerbolt[3.5x1/4unc]and a Delphi296 filter.Motor started fine then stopped but started again after a bit of winding over.Drove about 5miles down the road and when turning a corner it cut out,gradually picked up again but cut out on the next turn,managed to limp home.I suspect it could be the lift pump failing after its effort bleeding the air out......does this sound feasible?Can I test it without actually driving it so no risk of being stranded down the road?

No obvious sign of leakage at the time........but next morning a pool of diesel under the filter.When I had the sedimenter bowl off,I removed the nylon bleed screw and carefully replaced it,being aware they are easy to snap off.Apparently not tight enough.

Many thanks James.