Tyre Sizes

SolihullBeast

Just Inquiring as to the largest tyre size that a standard discovery 1 can accommodate without the need to trim the wheel arches? I am considering putting on 265/75 BFG AT's will these fit, or would they rub the chassis? is there any benefit in using wheel spacers?

Many Thanks

Sam

Using spacers/increasing the offset will cause the wheels to rub the rear arches.

I know of a 300tdi with standard size tyres 235/70 R16 which rub the rear arches because of this. On full compression they don't quite go up inside the arch, catching the edge. They have a 2" lift as well!

Apart from that, not sure what size tyres you can go for, sorry.

hi

i have 265/75 kl71's

but i have had to cut the rear arches to accomodate and have a 2" lift.

it is possible to have these without the lift as i did it but a very large 'trim' is necessary.

camel cut and 2" lift works just nicely and would recommend

cheers

adam

• 2 weeks later...

G'day, I've got 31x10.5R15 KL-71s in 15x7" rims with P19 offset (standard is P33) with 2" of lift. Those tyres are equivalent to a 265/70R16. I got away with pushing the lower rear corner of the rear guards out by about 3/4" or so (longer brackets/stays) and trimming the underside return in that area. I also had to fold the arch lip over for most of the rear section and some of the front. I've got the factory plastic fender "flares" which hide all of this. Without the extra wheel offset, I may have been able to just get away with pushing the rear out a bit and a retun lip trim (all still invisible), but this way I haven't lost any steering lock.

There's a number of threads on this topic within the forum. Do a search and see what you find... Cheers.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A LIFT DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN FIT BIGGER TYRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry:

restricting up travel means you can fit bigger tyres without it catching the standard bodywork. What height your vehicle sits at when at rest on a flat bit of tarmac has very little bearing on what tyres will fit. There are only 3 ways of getting big tyres under your motor without hacking the body to bits.

1) fit a carp 'lift' kit. Springs are sooo hard there is no way you can compress them, therefore tyres wont catch bodywork. bit of a pointless mod as you lose articulation

2) fit longer bumpstops to prevent the axle compressing as far

3) fit a body lift.

a quality spring lift will still allow you to compress all 4 corners up to the original bumpstops, therefore you will still get rubbing of tyres against bodywork.

Dead right. A lift only reduces the change of rubbing under 'normal' lightly-loaded conditions. Doesn't help tyre clearance when being used semi-seriously off-road at all really.

Returning to the original question: On standard 16x7" P33 offset rims, I reckon 245/70R16 (or equivalent) would be the limit of what will fit at max articulation on a Disco1 without guard mods. I had this size for quite a while and I'd still get a light touch condition at full compression.

Hi Sam,

It may help you decide if I give you some backstory to my Disco 300Tdi...

When I first had it, it was on fairly rubbish 235/70R16 road tyres on standard Freestyle Alloys. I saw a good offer on 265/75R16 Cooper STT muds and bought a set, but they needed a 2" lift and some trimming of the front bumper end caps and rear arches before I could fit them and even then they would catch on articulation of the rear axle. The other factor is gearing. My car is in fairly good health, but fitting those tyres totally killed the top end speed and acceleration, making the gears spaced too far apart. They did look awsome though ;)

Now to the present, I have just dropped the MT's for a set of 245/75R16 BFG AT's and it has totally transformed the car! I have my acceleration back, my top speed has increased (I can keep up with lane 3 motorway traffic again :ph34r: ) and I can manoeuvre again in car parks. Plus they don't (so-far) catch on axle twisters.

Steve.