Starter Issue.

I just wanted to confirm that if the starter engages properly but does not spin, and if it does spin when power is applied directly to the 2nd terminal on the solenoid that it is the solenoid that needs replacement? The 'incident' that resulted in this also broke one of the springs behind one of the brushes but it still seems to spin fine once re-assembled but I was wondering if anyone could confirm that the kit RTC4980 would include all the parts I need to properly rebuild this starter (200TDI), on the up-side the engine started fine despite being out for a year, the only problem is lack of documentation on hooking up the ignition and I appeared to have reversed two wires, and by the time I figured out the cause, the starter had overheated... (argh).

I just wanted to confirm that if the starter engages properly but does not spin, and if it does spin when power is applied directly to the 2nd terminal on the solenoid that it is the solenoid that needs replacement?

You've nadgered the big electrical contacts inside the solenoid, but the solenoid coil itself is OK.

I assume you have removed the starter from the vehicle and bench tested ? The reason I ask is that I only had 9V at the terminal of the solenoid. 9V was enough for the solenoid to click, but not enough to engage. I solved the 9V problem by adding a relay in the circuit as 9V is enough for a relay and that switches a full 12V to the solenoid. Problem solved.