Broken window winding mechanism

boaterboy

On being raised, the electrically operated nearside front window on my TD5 started to jam and then break away with an unhealthy bang.

I have removed the inner door panel and can see that one of the nylon(?) wheels that run in tracks on the parallelogram / pantograph raising mechanism has disintegrated causing the whole window to be a loose / sloppy fit in the vertical guides.

Has anyone else experienced such a failure and, if so, how was a repair effected, please?

The wheel was mounted on a spindle rivetted onto the end of one of the arms of the mechanism.

I can get to the end of the arm to drill out the spindle without removing the whole mechanism.

Has anyone turned a replacement wheel and spindle?

If so, what material was used?

Or, was a replacement nylon wheel able to be obtained from any source?

I'm keen to avoid taking out and replacing the whole window and winding mechanism, no doubt this being very time consuming and expensive.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Hi,

I've fixed this problem three ways:-

1. Replace the regulator assembly (about £30 from fleabay).

2 Remove the pin & wheel from an old regulator (see (1) above) and MIG weld it into another regulator (keep a damp cloth handy to cool it down before the nylon wheel melts).

3. Made a new pin out of Mild Steel and a new wheel out of Brass. (I build model steam engines for a hobby so I have a lathe/mill in the workshop).

Hope this helps.

Scrumps

vehicle parts & accessories - car parts - land rover. search from here with 'window'

Hi,

Search "all categories" for "Discovery window regulator" and take your pick from the 93 that will currently pop-up

Scrumps

• 3 weeks later...

On being raised, the electrically operated nearside front window on my TD5 started to jam and then break away with an unhealthy bang.

I have removed the inner door panel and can see that one of the nylon(?) wheels that run in tracks on the parallelogram / pantograph raising mechanism has disintegrated causing the whole window to be a loose / sloppy fit in the vertical guides.

Has anyone else experienced such a failure and, if so, how was a repair effected, please?

The wheel was mounted on a spindle rivetted onto the end of one of the arms of the mechanism.

I can get to the end of the arm to drill out the spindle without removing the whole mechanism.

Has anyone turned a replacement wheel and spindle?

If so, what material was used?

Or, was a replacement nylon wheel able to be obtained from any source?

I'm keen to avoid taking out and replacing the whole window and winding mechanism, no doubt this being very time consuming and expensive.

Any help would be gratefully received.

I wrote this up in the Tech Archive of this site (including a link to a replacement winding mechanism i think) - not expensive and less fiddley than buggering around with makeshift parts to repair the odd washer etc...

Cheers

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to you all for the most useful info. re. my query.

In the event, I drilled out the spindle which was on the end of the arm and which supported the original nylon wheel.

I discovered that a 'penny' washer was of the same diameter as the original nylon wheel.

I selected a short shouldered bolt having the same diameter as the hole in the middle of the washer and the hole drilled in the end of the arm and with a series of lock-nuts fixed the washer to the end of the arm.

It is a bit fiddley, the washer has to be put into the channelled runner at the base of the window first before assembling the bolt 'spindle' on the washer.

However, I believe it to be a lot less fiddley than removing and replacing the whole of the winding mechanism from the door.

One word of warning, there is not a lot of spare space in the door and should the bolt used be too long it will catch on the lever mechanism when the window is being raised.

Therefore, during assembly raise the window very slowly whilst using a mirror to check for clearance.

Plenty of grease on the modded fitting will, I hope, effect a lasting repair.