Batteries in Parallel?

there is a good explanation of this in this post:

Split Charging Thread

It is a good informative thread to read generally...

Mark

I agree a good thread, but i didnt actually see any reason made for having . Say a Lead Acid and an Optima for example running in parallel. Just curious, as most people would be running a Lead Acid as standard. So would it be poss to buy one optima an place it in parallel?

Cheers

As you only have one charging system (your alternator) put "any" batteries in parallel. The point I'm trying to make is that if u have different types of battery u may want to charge them in a different way (deep cycle differently to normal) but as you have no choice of charging system........ don't worry.........EXCEPT don't put a very small battery in vs. existing one or you may charge it too fast and overheat it.

In any case test your set up outside the vehicle so u sleep easy

Good luck

Charlie

I agree a good thread, but i didnt actually see any reason made for having . Say a Lead Acid and an Optima for example running in parallel. Just curious, as most people would be running a Lead Acid as standard. So would it be poss to buy one optima an place it in parallel?

Cheers

My understanding is, if two different batteries are wired in parellel they will perform as two of the worst battery (in your case the lead acid one), also if one battery starts to fail it will drag the other down, meaning you then get starting problems, I would suggest it may be easier to have one Optima (red?) as the vehicles only battery, alternatively a split charge system to disconnect the pair of batterys except when the engine is running.

the split charge system means you should have one battery still in working condition if the other battery fails, which means you can jump start yourself - if they are just wired in parallel, one fails and you then end up with two flat batteries :unsure:

My understanding is, if two different batteries are wired in parellel they will perform as two of the worst battery (in your case the lead acid one), also if one battery starts to fail it will drag the other down, meaning you then get starting problems, I would suggest it may be easier to have one Optima (red?) as the vehicles only battery, alternatively a split charge system to disconnect the pair of batterys except when the engine is running.

the split charge system means you should have one battery still in working condition if the other battery fails, which means you can jump start yourself - if they are just wired in parallel, one fails and you then end up with two flat batteries :unsure:

exactly, been thinking about saying that from the start, but decided to see where this thread went

It all depends upon application,

If you are an overlander with loads of ancillaries, then split charge is the answer ………. OK, your beer maybe warm in the fridge when the Aux battery is flat, but at least you will still be able to start the engine from the main battery to go a buy some more. :lol:

If you just want it for extra cranking power or winching, then two identical batteries of identical age will do just fine …….. buy cheapie agri batteries and replace them every 2/3 years. ;)

Yes, all the answers are right ……. batteries of differing age / technology / state of charge etc, will equalise to the lowest common denominator …. but if you use identical batteries this is not normally a problem.

Ian

Cheers for the responses,

Gave me more of an insight to charging and batteries.

Never like just being told what is best to do, i like to know why it is best/correct..

The problem started when my mate wanted to run a winch on his Jeep Wrangler TJ. They run a seperate regulator that creates the D+ Electronically (sense feed on LR alternator) To which if interfaced directly with a relay (split charge) will be damaged.

So firstly we tried using a VSR, but it would drop out charging the Aux batt too early (140amp draw) We used the original Lead Acid for the primary batt, and an Optima yellow for the Aux/winch.

What we have now is a manual switch system to place 2 x Yellow Optima's in parallel when winching and using the VSR to control charge at all other times. Preventing any trickle charge going on (as explained in the Split Charge thread)

Hope what i have wriiten is of use/makes sense?