Black Smoke.

So, went to go to the beach this morning and half way there I noticed she was smoking when I accelerated,(Black smoke) just before I hear the turbo start to whistle.

I have noticed ever since I have been driving her that she seemed to have a flat spot in the power just before the turbo hits, I have to get on the accelerator pedal a bit to get her over this lag.

What should I check before I carry her to the garage?

Thanks.

So, went to go to the beach this morning and half way there I noticed she was smoking when I accelerated,(Black smoke) just before I hear the turbo start to whistle.

I have noticed ever since I have been driving her that she seemed to have a flat spot in the power just before the turbo hits, I have to get on the accelerator pedal a bit to get her over this lag.

What should I check before I carry her to the garage?

Thanks.

I just changed the fuel and air filters. The flat spot is all but gone and she does not seem to be smoking as bad.

I will take her for another ride later.

Thanks.

Went for another ride.

To be honest I think she has been smoking all along and it really isn't much worse than the wife's Hyundai diesel.

She puffs just when the turbo hits.

However, I think I will pull the intercooler next week and flush it with petrol, according to Haynes it looks pretty straight forward as long as there are no rusty bolts and nuts. Im thinking that I may just order a new set of hoses and the intercooler element and just change them out.

So, does your diesel smoke?

Thanks.

"Does my diesel smoke"?,Only on start up and that's the initial burst when the engine fires up and then it'll only "smoke" when I'm in the wrong gear-3rd for instance when going round a roundabout other than that no, It is a 200tdi and has been re-manufactured by turners with re-con'd pump/injectors and I keep up on the servicing, I can't speak highly enough of the engine unit's they supply.

using Silicone hoses instead of standard hoses are always a good choice.

Could I ask why you feel you need to renew the intercooler, surely if it's not got any holes in it or isn't damaged then replacing it with another one seems a waste of money!As a damn good clean internally will probably do it the world of good, If however you want as most of us diesel land rover owners do-more power and then a bigger one is the way you want to go then fair one

John

"Does my diesel smoke"?,Only on start up and that's the initial burst when the engine fires up and then it'll only "smoke" when I'm in the wrong gear-3rd for instance when going round a roundabout other than that no, It is a 200tdi and has been re-manufactured by turners with re-con'd pump/injectors and I keep up on the servicing, I can't speak highly enough of the engine unit's they supply.

using Silicone hoses instead of standard hoses are always a good choice.

Could I ask why you feel you need to renew the intercooler, surely if it's not got any holes in it or isn't damaged then replacing it with another one seems a waste of money!As a damn good clean internally will probably do it the world of good, If however you want as most of us diesel land rover owners do-more power and then a bigger one is the way you want to go then fair one

John

Agreed, I would only replace the element if it were damaged.

As I go through the gears, just before I feel and hear the turbo kick in there is a flat spot in the power. If I hold the accelerator in that flat spot she will smoke black.

If I push the accelerator a little more she goes through the flat spot, the turbo hits and there is a puff of black smoke.

I have changed the air and fuel filters and will be cleaning or replacing the intercooler if needs be.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Ah now I think we maybe verging onto the injectors here as I had a similar problem with my 200 tdi hence why I have got re-con'd injectors,That was flat spot orientated not smoking though-Black smoke from what I remember is un-burnt diesel as In over fuelling, has the top of the fuel injection pump got the cap missing from the top of it-you'll find on top of the fuel injection pump a plate(about 3 inches x 2 inches) that has 4 screws holding it down and in the centre of that you'll find there should be a round cap covering a torx screw with a lock nut if the cap is missing then it could have had the pump played with before you got it down there which will explain the extra fuelling that you're experiencing and the flat spot may well be the injectors either needing replacing or reconditioning

The way I remember the "flat spot" was when travelling along the motorway or fast A road, I would put my foot down to say overtake another vehicle on the nearside lane and finding I had to adjust the pressure on the accelerator pedal slowly but surely to get any form of speed out of my truck and when I got past the stage of the flat spot it would go reasonably well I changed them out for another set I had lying about and it made a hell of a difference-I then got them re-con'd and it's been really good ever since-the re-con'd pump however is a completely different story

HTH

John

Ah now I think we maybe verging onto the injectors here as I had a similar problem with my 200 tdi hence why I have got re-con'd injectors,That was flat spot orientated not smoking though-Black smoke from what I remember is un-burnt diesel as In over fuelling, has the top of the fuel injection pump got the cap missing from the top of it-you'll find on top of the fuel injection pump a plate(about 3 inches x 2 inches) that has 4 screws holding it down and in the centre of that you'll find there should be a round cap covering a torx screw with a lock nut if the cap is missing then it could have had the pump played with before you got it down there which will explain the extra fuelling that you're experiencing and the flat spot may well be the injectors either needing replacing or reconditioning

The way I remember the "flat spot" was when travelling along the motorway or fast A road, I would put my foot down to say overtake another vehicle on the nearside lane and finding I had to adjust the pressure on the accelerator pedal slowly but surely to get any form of speed out of my truck and when I got past the stage of the flat spot it would go reasonably well I changed them out for another set I had lying about and it made a hell of a difference-I then got them re-con'd and it's been really good ever since-the re-con'd pump however is a completely different story

HTH

John

Thats exactly what she is doing.

I am trying to get in contact with the Jag/Rover mechanic and let him deal with it.

Thanks.

Well,

I took my truck from the Rover dealer.

Apparently they no longer have a certified mechanic at the garage.

However I have a freind from England that is a diesel mechanic, he used to do MOTs in the UK. He says all I need to do is give the truck a good run and that I have to get used to the flat as this is turbo lag.

So I am going to run it hard and see if that makes a difference.

My friend also said that he would drive it for a few days and give if a good run, I may take him up on that.

Thanks.

Another thought.

I was talking to my UK diesel mechanic.

He says its a strong possibility that the diesel fuel here may be causing the motor to smoke.

Diesel in the Bahamas is very nasty, very high in sulpher.

So bad in fact that the local Mercedes dealer refuses to sell diesel Mercedes vehicles.

My other 2 cars are diesel, a Hyundai turbo diesel and a Ford Turbo common rail diesel.

They both smoke.

Public transportation here are mostly Nissan and Toyota bus's. They all smoke horribly.

So what am I worried about.

I figure if I put a fuel treatment in the tank every few tanks, I should be OK.

Ah well, then you may have hit the nail on the head with the high sulphur thing -If all of the other diesel vehicles on the Island are doing the same then perhaps that is the reason behind your 90 smoking the way it does.

the words "wood for the trees springs" to mind :P

On a serious note glad you're making progress with it lets hope it is that-that is causing it to smoke

John

So,

what about the timing pump?

I have read that when you change the cam belt the timing can come out slightly and cause smoke and a flat spot.

My belt was changed before it left the UK

I also read that the 300tdi does not have a flat spot when running propperly, is this true?

Thanks.

If you look on the front of the timing case directly in front of the fuel injection pump there is a small round disc about 2-1/2 inches across with 3 screws holding it in place when you remove this you'll be able to see 3x 10mm bolt heads and a larger nut(19mm) I think, To advance the timing loosen the 10 mm bolt heads only slightly-you can adjust the timing using a socket on the nut to either advance or retard the timing by moving the socket clockwise you'll advance it make sure when you advance it you re-tighten the bolts and replace the cover again

John

If you look on the front of the timing case directly in front of the fuel injection pump there is a small round disc about 2-1/2 inches across with 3 screws holding it in place when you remove this you'll be able to see 3x 10mm bolt heads and a larger nut(19mm) I think, To advance the timing loosen the 10 mm bolt heads only slightly-you can adjust the timing using a socket on the nut to either advance or retard the timing by moving the socket clockwise you'll advance it make sure when you advance it you re-tighten the bolts and replace the cover again

John

Do I need to loosen all 4 injector pipes at both ends, just enough to let the pipes move a tad?

Thanks.

Natas,the bolt's I mentioned in the above are nothing to do with the injector pipes-do not loosen them off, it's on the front of the engine where the belt's are to drive the water pump/alternator etc, as you look at the front of the engine it's on the left hand side of the front of it-looks like a round plate with 3 tabs coming off it with 3 Phillips screws attaching it to the timing casing, The pump itself doesn't move just the bit that the Sprocket mounts onto-this will turn as you turn the largish nut behind the plate in the timing chest after you loosen off the 3 10mm bolts behind the plate as before when you have moved the nut you must then re-tighten the 3 10mm bolts back up again

John

Natas,the bolt's I mentioned in the above are nothing to do with the injector pipes-do not loosen them off, it's on the front of the engine where the belt's are to drive the water pump/alternator etc, as you look at the front of the engine it's on the left hand side of the front of it-looks like a round plate with 3 tabs coming off it with 3 Phillips screws attaching it to the timing casing, The pump itself doesn't move just the bit that the Sprocket mounts onto-this will turn as you turn the largish nut behind the plate in the timing chest after you loosen off the 3 10mm bolts behind the plate as before when you have moved the nut you must then re-tighten the 3 10mm bolts back up again

John

Much Thanks!

So has there been any joy with it?

Not yet, I have ordered new fuel injectors and silicone tubes for the intercooler.

When they come then I will also remove the intercooler and give it a good cleaning.

It really is strange the way it smokes, if I accelerate there is no smoke. Its only when I run at a steady pace that it smokes. When this happens I give it some more throttle, she smokes a little more then it clears up as the rpm's increase.

If the injectors and intercooler cleaning and new hoses dont work then I will have someone check the timing, after that I dont know but will keep at it.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the turbo /intercooler hoses. One of them was really soft.

I took her for a run out west where there is a long road that I can run her hard and fast.

Got her up to 70 and held her there for a few miles.

The smoke seems to be all but gone!

Figers crossed.