Disco 1 Rev counter connection

weasel_110

Hi Chaps!

Last year i had a 200 TDi engine and transfer box (2nd hand) fitted to my '89 110 TD.

I recently gave my mate a lift who has a Heavily modded 90/200 TDi and he commented on how high it revved...

As I am a bit disappointed about the 24 MPG I am getting, I wondered about the T/box and found it was a Disco box 1.22 ratio, instead of a Defender 1.41.

So I started making enquires to fit a rev counter and finally bought a Disco 1 set of clocks for £18 off Ebay.

As I only have a Haynes TD manual, I need to know which connector on the binnacle to wire to the 'W' connector on my alternator,also which connector is the earth?

I am not installing the binnacle. I just want to know how it is revving at certain speeds, I have been told it should do 3 thou @ 80 MPH.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

Gary

post-4824-127661414356_thumb.jpg

post-4824-127661486795_thumb.jpg

For a Disco 1 the answer appears to be C207 pin 5 for the 'W' lead.

The Earth is shared between C221 Pin 1, and C222 Pin 10. I think either will do, although there will be no harm done if you attach an earth to them both. You may also need a 12 volt connection, which is C207 Pin 7.

This now becomes interesting, because I have found 3 connectors on the diagrams, while you have only shown 2 connectors.

All three connectors have 10 connection cavities.

C207 has wires in each of the 10 cavities.

221 has wires in 9 cavities, with cavity 10 being vacant.

222 has wires in 8 cavities, with cavities 4 and 6 being vacant.

None of the face views show the locating keyways which are obvious in your shot of the connection points.

Note that both connection points you show have 10 connection strips.

Viewing the cluster from the rear, as per your second shot, the connector locations in the ETM are;

C207 appears to be horizontal, at the top RH corner.

C221 appears to be horizontal, at the top LH corner.

C222 appears to be vertical, and on the RH end, so out of your shot.

I am never certain, and the ETM doesn't say, which direction the 'face layout' of each connector is looking at. The wire side or the connection side. As each cavity is labelled with the corresponding wire colour I'd hope that the layout is from the wiring side.

If true, this will help you because the numbering of the connection pins will be in the same order as the cavities marked on the 'face layout', which is from Left to Right, 1 to 10.

However, I must point out that TO ME the term 'face layout', used on it's own, would mean the connection side, NOT the wiring side; in which case the numbers I've given are reversed (so Right to Left, 1 to 10). When the wiring loom is available one simply double checks the number with the colour of the wire, but this double check isn't available to you.

HTH

For a Disco 1 the answer appears to be C207 pin 5 for the 'W' lead.

The Earth is shared between C221 Pin 1, and C222 Pin 10. I think either will do, although there will be no harm done if you attach an earth to them both. You may also need a 12 volt connection, which is C207 Pin 7.

This now becomes interesting, because I have found 3 connectors on the diagrams, while you have only shown 2 connectors.

All three connectors have 10 connection cavities.

C207 has wires in each of the 10 cavities.

221 has wires in 9 cavities, with cavity 10 being vacant.

222 has wires in 8 cavities, with cavities 4 and 6 being vacant.

None of the face views show the locating keyways which are obvious in your shot of the connection points.

Note that both connection points you show have 10 connection strips.

Viewing the cluster from the rear, as per your second shot, the connector locations in the ETM are;

C207 appears to be horizontal, at the top RH corner.

C221 appears to be horizontal, at the top LH corner.

C222 appears to be vertical, and on the RH end, so out of your shot.

I am never certain, and the ETM doesn't say, which direction the 'face layout' of each connector is looking at. The wire side or the connection side. As each cavity is labelled with the corresponding wire colour I'd hope that the layout is from the wiring side.

If true, this will help you because the numbering of the connection pins will be in the same order as the cavities marked on the 'face layout', which is from Left to Right, 1 to 10.

However, I must point out that TO ME the term 'face layout', used on it's own, would mean the connection side, NOT the wiring side; in which case the numbers I've given are reversed (so Right to Left, 1 to 10). When the wiring loom is available one simply double checks the number with the colour of the wire, but this double check isn't available to you.

HTH

Hi David, Many thanks for taking the time to reply!

As I said, I do not have the Disco wiring diagram, only the Defender one....

I stripped the Tach out of the binnacle and found 3 connections to it, one is an Ignition,

the middle is unknown but presumably from the Alternator 'W' feed, and the last one is the Earth.

Here are the pics...

post-4824-12766724067_thumb.jpg

post-4824-127667242357_thumb.jpg

Thanks again!

Gary