4 bolt power steering box

V8david

Hi. As topic says really.

Power steering box is leaking badly. It was covered in fluid so i wiped it clean and waited to establish where the leak was coming from.

The four bolts on the top seem to be holding down a plate to the main body of the box. The leak is coming from between the plate and the body of the box.

My question is, what's between that top plate (held down by the four bolts) and the box itself? Is there a gasket? Easily replaced?

Also the worse the leak seems to have got the more wobbly the steering seems to be getting. I've kept the level topped up so the fluid hasn't dropped too low.

Every time i see a picture of one of these boxes on ebay etc., they always seem to have a similar coating of fluid on them. So my final question is are these boxes just carp? I replaced mine with a reconditioned one a couple of years ago and this leak is MUCH worse than the one I replaced.

Help/suggestions much appreciated...

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest I would go find a local breaker and get a second hand one. Look for one that is dirty but dry. Unless you buy a reconditioned box from a local land rover parts dealership where you will have some warranty I wouldn’t risk it.

The seals do ware the shaft and just replacing the seals generally last for a few months of use and your back to where you started. A proper recon box done properly will cost you about £250 but should last.

I brought a supposedly reconditioned box (jet wash and a lick of black paint) and it leaked more than the one I took of.

Doesn’t matter what vehicle the box comes off all 4 bolt box’s are the same.

Loads of threads about changing them in the forum, Most advice is around the drop arm which can become so attached to the power steering box that your never get it off.

What's under the plate depends on the exact type of box, could be an O ring or a gasket.

The concensus on here and elsewhere is that just slapping new seals in doesn't work for long, as the shafts wear out etc. A legit recon 'box should be around £175 to £225 and are pretty much good as new ( :ph34r: ).

Cheers for that. I thought that might be the case.

As I said this is a recon replacement and I'd happily swap it for one with a leak as small as the one it replaced!

Anyone recommend a reliable recon supplier?

This one was from MM and it's been quite frankly dogsh1t. Love the way it REALLY started pissing fluid out once the warranty had gone!

Anyone recommend a reliable recon supplier?

Mine was an Adwest exchange unit via K Motors in Leyland (aka LRdirect.com) and its been fine so far, though I understand their mail order side can be questionable.

I understand their mail order side can be questionable.

:lol: their mail order side is a bloody disgrace!!! Felt like I was banging my head against a very large brick wall! Vowed never to darken their website again, let alone order off the useless b@stards. Unbelievable customer service!

I'll look out for other adwest suppliers, isn't MM an adwest supplier?

Anyway, cheers for that.