Anyone got a 200tdi disco safari snorkel template?

Mike Spy

I have bought a 200tdi safari snorkel and am going to fit it to my 300tdi disco! I have no templates or instructions at all. I have fitted one to a 200 before (and found the instructions on the safari website) but could really do with a template?

Has anyone fitted one to a 300? Is my best bet to get the 200 airbox and pipes etc?

Anyway, im relatively new to this forum and I know im on the scrounge a bit early! ;) If anyone has a template for a 200tdi snorkel I can borrow for a day or 2 I would be very grateful. I am happy to trace it and return it the next day!

Any help gratefuly received!

Cheers,

Mike

Mike

I have just fitted a 200 Tdi safari Snorkel to my 300 Tdi Disco... I traced a local 4x4 garage's template. I will see if I can scan it so that you can print it off... something that I was intending to do anyway as I spent a while looking for one. Let me have a go at work and I'll see what I can do. Worst case is a do another tracing and send that to you.

As for the fitting, I think that you'll have to cut the hole out in the side of the engine bay. There should be an indentation from when the 200's used it, so its a case of cutting that out and adapting some sort of filter to work. I used the 200 Tdi airbox and pipework and loads of silicon.

One thing I did have to do was make the air box inlet pipe OD bigger as it didn't fit into the snorkel snuggly... I had some rubber boot that just fitted with a bit of streaching and that did the job, again, loads of silicon. Not sure why this didn't fit better, I may have been missing somthing.

I haven't "taken the plunge" and tested the snorkel out, but have full confidence in it.

Can take some pics if required.

Eeyore

One thing I did have to do was make the air box inlet pipe OD bigger as it didn't fit into the snorkel snuggly... I had some rubber boot that just fitted with a bit of streaching and that did the job, again, loads of silicon. Not sure why this didn't fit better, I may have been missing somthing.

I haven't "taken the plunge" and tested the snorkel out, but have full confidence in it.

Eeyore

The reason for the difference in fit is that a 200tdi doesnt have the larger plastic air filter box that the 300tdi does, instead it has a more simple defender style one which has a different size of inlet.

One way you can test that your snorkle is nicely sealed before you take the plunge is to get a heavy duty plastic bag over the snorkle top and suffocate the engine. If you can do this then it cannot be pulling air in from elsewhere, It it carries on running fine then you know that air must be leaking in from somewhere else and its time to get listening and siliconing :P

Cheers

Ryck

Mike

I have just fitted a 200 Tdi safari Snorkel to my 300 Tdi Disco... I traced a local 4x4 garage's template. I will see if I can scan it so that you can print it off... something that I was intending to do anyway as I spent a while looking for one. Let me have a go at work and I'll see what I can do. Worst case is a do another tracing and send that to you.

As for the fitting, I think that you'll have to cut the hole out in the side of the engine bay. There should be an indentation from when the 200's used it, so its a case of cutting that out and adapting some sort of filter to work. I used the 200 Tdi airbox and pipework and loads of silicon.

Can take some pics if required.

Eeyore

If I could print it that would be fantastic! I only ever fitted a 200 onto aa 200 disco but I remember then I had to use a bit of inner tube rubber in the joint to make it a tight fit!

I know there will be some extra cutting but im not to worried! I just dont want to drill the holes in the wrong place!!

THanks again,

Mike

Ryck , cheers for that - thats a good test.

Mike - Can you PM me your address so I can send you the template I have. I haven't got round to scanning it so I will just send you my template... If you are anything like I was you'll be desperate to put the snorkel on...

Hope thats ok...

Eeyore

• 4 years later...