front or rear diff ???

hi can anybody tell me if there is a diferance between a front and rear diff if there is can you tell me what it is . if you put a rear diff on front then wont the pinion gear run in a diferant direction ? surely that will make it wine ? thanks richard

Front and rear diffs in Land Rovers are the same in standard form. and yes that means the front diff is rotating the wrong way. they don't (shouldn't) whine. It does mean however that the front crown wheel and pinion are weaker as it is running on the coast side of the teeth. Also it doesn't oil the pinion tail bearing so well. you can get round this by fitting an aftermarket ring and pinion with 'reverse cut' such as those we make (or others).

Steve

Front and rear diffs in Land Rovers are the same in standard form. and yes that means the front diff is rotating the wrong way. they don't (shouldn't) whine. It does mean however that the front crown wheel and pinion are weaker as it is running on the coast side of the teeth. Also it doesn't oil the pinion tail bearing so well. you can get round this by fitting an aftermarket ring and pinion with 'reverse cut' such as those we make (or others).

Steve

good answer !!!!! thanks steve il have a look on the website. thanks richard

Just to add a little more ...

Beware of putting a used rear diff in the front or vice versa. They could have experienced many high load cycles applied to one side of the teeth and now would be loaded on the opposite side. This can lead to reduced fatigue life before failure.

I'm not saying don't do it to get out of trouble, but avoid swapping them if it can be avoided.

Beware of putting a used rear diff in the front or vice versa. They could have experienced many high load cycles applied to one side of the teeth and now would be loaded on the opposite side. This can lead to reduced fatigue life before failure.

I'm not saying don't do it to get out of trouble, but avoid swapping them if it can be avoided.

il put it back then . oops

il put it back then . oops

I should have added: use some discretion with this - a diff in obviously good condition or if know to have low miles, but previously ran in the opposite end, is going to be better if it is to replace one that is obviously not in good condition.

However, if you can choose, then be aware of this issue, unless also intending to fit new gears.