Removing LT77 advice...

jmattley

Hi guys, I need to remove my gearbox and transfer box (LT77), but I only have 1 trolley jack and no engine crane. It's just to sell the gearbox so I don't really fancy investing in a crane which I'll only be using once.

Any ideas or advice on doing this? without getting help from a team of body builders?

Cheers guys!

It's perfectly possible. It's far easier to do them seperatelywith the trolley jack than together though.

Assuming the body is still on the discovery, then you can't get a crane in easily anyway...

Good plan! I might just try it that way then. So basically, props off, all the trim and levers etc from the cab, bolts on the trany box to gearbox box, then are there any mounts to unbolt to get the trany box off?

The whole transferbox/gearbox assy is held under the tail of the gearbox on the gearbox cross member with 2 rubber mounts. To get the t-box off, you will need to take these mounts out and have the gearbox resting on the cross member I believe (from memory). You may find you can remove the cross member, but you will then have to support the end of the gearbox on something while you take the t-box off.

Don't forget to undo the speedo cable and the hand brake cable.

It is also easier if the mid section of the exhaust is moved.

hth

Mark

I found I had to remove the gearbox crossmember in order to get the transfer box out unfortunately only after wrecking the input seal. Be warned, not only is the transfer box extremely heavy it's got a very strange balnce point, much easy if you have someone to keep it on the jack while you are lowering it. 12 inch bar and a universal joint make short work of the bell housing nuts and bolts. Good luck.