Wabco ABS runs (too) much

Roverbo

Hi,

I´ve got a 1990 RRC with the Wabco ABS system. For about a year ago, the abs pump started running at shorter and shorter intervals, down to every 1 minute, and I changed the Nitrogen-charged Accumolator to a new one (bought from Britishparts). Everything then worked fine, I could accept the pump now running every 5-7 minutes.

But now everythings seems to be "as before". Yesterday I tracked a interval at 1 min. 40 sec. (without applying the brake pedal at all).

Could it be the "new" accu allready has leaked the pressure out, or did I buy a piece with 10 years on the shelf, "almost done" at the day I got it?

The pump and relays etc. seems to be OK, from start the pump runs 40 secs to charge up, as stated in the RAVE manual.

BR

Bo Helsted

Hi Geoff,

this is a drawing of the high/low pressure system.

brakes.jpg

The thick, black lines shows the high pressure parts (Valve block, pump, accumolator, mastercylinder, lines, calibers).

I could understand if the pump would run often if a brake line was corroded/leaking - IF i pushed the pedal. But its like the high pressure system looses pressure even though i´m just idling without using the brakes. No pressure is reliefed from the pump/accu parts. Lack of Nitrogen ("biased" pressure) in the accu would make the pump run more in case if deep brakings, I understand this (less energy would be accumolated). This has always been a small mystery to me (well, many parts of my rangie is...), even when the pump only had the pleasant 5-7 minute intervals. Anyone who can explain ?

Cheers

Bo