24v Headlamps

JSG

Hi All,

I need to replace the n/s headlight on my 24 v Lightweight as the unit is corroded. The o/s one is not much better so I'm trying to find a source for a pair of new units with bulbs (I don't really want sealed beams). I'm new to 24v electrics and I'm having trouble finding them on suppliers websites.

Can anyone tell me the part numbers I need? It is a 1978 Series III. I'd be keen to go halogen if possible for improved lighting.

I've set myself a target to get the known jobs done by booking a MOT next week so must get this sorted :)

Cheers,

John

If you dismantle the military lens rims you can put modern lenses back in them, fairly straightforward to do, there is no difference between 12 and 24V lenses, just the bulbs. I fitted Paddocks standard replacement lenses in my 101 military rims and H4 bulbs. Go to any commercial vehicle motor factor for the bulbs.

If you are fitting halogen bulbs, consider fitting relays in the head and main beam circuits, while not so important with 24V (half the load amps wise of a 12V system) it may save you frying the 6 way or indicator switches. 70's Lucas wiring isn't made to carry the high pressure smoke needed for decent lights ;)

Every thing 24V is available and is nothing to be afraid of, more reliable than 12V as well.