Immobiliser problem..

monkeyb0y

Hey All,

i need some advice - im having worsening immobiliser problems which i think maybe spider related...

Its a sensitive subject for public viewing so if need be, id be greatfull for PMs to tell me how to bypass the immobiliser?..

Its a 96 TDi 3dr....and occasionaly, when ive got in, the engine has just spun but not fired as im pretty sure fuel is not being allowed thru..

If I get out, lock it, leave it for 5mins, then unlock, key in - it will usually start...

But, since last week, other things are happening - the most interesting when driving a short distance - the engine just died....i pulled up, turned key and it spun over quite healthily but i was fairly sure no fuel was getting through...as thou it had electronically switched off..

Left it for half hour - locked, unlocked then she fired up fine...

Today, came out of work, and it just turned over...After some retrying, locking, unlocking, it eventually fired up...

The little green box in the passenger footwell area ocasionally ticks - amd if knocked,will bring on the hazzards that cant be turned off unless car is locked with plipper. And, the led on dash will sometimes behave strange...I even suspect a loose wire or dry joint on this green box if it is linked?...

I know youcan run wires from\to solenoids and bypass this menace - but im not sure where they need to go?..am i right in thinking the spider is near the radio \ heater controls area - and the green box is the ECU?

Can anyone help \ PM me - id be greatfull....

Or maybe just advise if there maybe other areas im overlooking - and its not the spider?...

Im not convinced its any other fuel flow related issue like filters or air getting in..

thanks

Rich

Well after it getting worse and getting worse, and last straw was getting stranded at morrisons today and gettin a tow home, I stripped the centre console out, and opened the spider...sure enough 2 dry / broken solder joints. All joints soldered and it seems ok. I'm sure its fixed it..and my post last night relating to the alarm going off was probably related. Big thanks bog monster for a great post on the definitive spider post....its pretty standard and easy to follow...

I'm happier now...incidently I got breakdown cover with rac today for a fiver...which starts next week...

I'm over the moon with this fix...

Forum strikes again!

Rich

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I had the same problem, a teared solder contact. But before re-soldering I glued the start relais to the PCB to prevent it from tearing again.

P1030415.JPG

raptured relais pin on PCB (Middle)

P1030417.JPG

The start relais (black) is relative heavy and bumpy roads will stress the soldered contacts between the PCB and the relais(s) The White one is probably the relais interrupting the fuel solenoid.

P1030418.JPG

De-solder the relais using a suction pump or de-solder litze

P1030419.JPG

Here comes the trick, apply 2 component epoxy glue between the relais an the PCB to divert motion stress direct to the PCB. Do not use super glue, it will break.

P1030420.JPG

Resolder, job done..

Grtz,

Stephan

Ayup, just been reading this with interest as i am experiencing similar problems. can you tell me if your disco had EDC? i was wondering as one post says that vehicles with EDC don't have the spider fitted so not much point in ripping out the dash, let me know if you can, Cheers.