Stub Axle Seal

MuddyWinny

The axle in question is a rear axle from a late 200tdi Discovery (metric/thin flange drive shaft type) which I belive is the same as fitted to the 300tdi Discivery and and Defenders.

Before fitting the axle to my 90 I'm replacing the stub axles. The new stub axles I purchased did not come with the oil seals fitted (Does anyone k ow if this is correct?); no problem they are easy enough to fit.

The seals I purchased (FTC5268) are fitted with a metal ring in the back of the seal post-5220-127979999007_thumb.jpg which is something I have never seen before.

Please excuse my ignorance but does anybody know if the metal ring should be removed or left in place?

Thanks

MW

leave that ring in place, without it the seal will not be formed to the correct diameter, if the seals are not fitted, the oil can get to the outer splines of the driveshafts which will help keep the splines in good order.

Thanks Western. I thought that would probably the case but wasn't entirely sure.

The driveshafts are one piece there's no need to worry about lubricating outer splines.

Is there a preference to leave the seal out to help lubricate the hub bearings or is this a topic similar to 'is the 200tdi or 300tdi best'?

Thanks

MW