New Wheel Bearing Problem

MuddyWinny

Hello,

While fitting a Dicsovery axle (I believe it is from a Discovery but from what I have found there seems to be little difference between Defender and later Discovery disk braked rear axles) to my 90 I am changing the wheel bearings and stub axles.

The hub in question is the later type that accepts the thin/metric flanged shafts (generally 24 spline).

The stub axle and bearings I have bought are FTC3188 and STC4382/RTC3429 (Timkin).

The bearing tracks are stamped with LM603011 (as are the old tracks) and the new bearing LM603049 (there are no markings on the old bearing).

However, the new bearings do not fit onto the stubaxle as the internal diameter is too small (but only just).

The old bearing does fit the new stub axle in the expected manner (i.e. slide on easily but have no play). The new bearing does not fit the old stub axle.

Does anybody know if I have bought the wrong bearing? All the parts disgrams I looked at indicated the bearing I bought.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

MW

Disco 1 rear axle [200 & 300tdi/V8] use the same bearings RTC3429 Microcat shows me the same part number for 90 rear disc braked axle too.

shows stub axle

FTC3188the other stub axle is FRC8005 for Disco from JA032851

Defender 90 stub axle with rear disc brakes is FRC8540

the 'LM' numbers are Timken bearings part numbers not LR numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

Western,

If you are interested I finally got to the bottom of this.

FTC3188 and RTC3429 are the correct part numbers.

Supplier took the stub axles and bearings back, agreed they would not fit and that the stub axles were at fault and refunded me without any issues.

I obtained different stubaxles (Allmakes) from a local supplier who helped me try an fit a bearing before I took them home. It turned out that the tolerance on the stub axle is such that the bearing has to slide onto the stub axle accurately otherswise it would 'stick' and appear not to fit.

This proved tricky when the bearing was fitted to the hub and I tried to slide the assembly onto the new stub axle. However, by removing the outer bearing and using a thin punch I could drift the inner bearing onto the stubaxle with very gentle taps; once on it would slide along the stub axle with ease.

Maybe the original stub axles were ok after all...

Regards

MW