memory map on a pda

jetemp

As the title suggests i am thinking of running memory map on a pda that i have. I was hoping someone could give me a step by step run through of what i would need to do. Which memory map is better for off road use (which one has the pictures!!), which gps receivers are better than others etc. etc.

Thanks

James

As the title suggests i am thinking of running memory map on a pda that i have. I was hoping someone could give me a step by step run through of what i would need to do. Which memory map is better for off road use (which one has the pictures!!), which gps receivers are better than others etc. etc.

Thanks

James

I run MM for Greenlaning, but for road use you are better with something like TomTom. I do have the OS 1-250k UK Road Atlas. But I just swap the memory cards to use the tomtom. I run both on a Medion PDA with built in GPS. I also have a GPS reciver for my laptop.

Seting up MM on a PDA is quite easy. But I use a card reader to transfur the maps to the memory card on the PDA.

Paul

You'll need a PDA, the Memory Map software for the area you want to use it on (I think you need the premium version if you want satellite imagery as well as the OS maps).

I use a Bluetooth GPS doodah (my PDA doesn't have a CF slot which is the other common type) - a Holux GPSlim 236 which uses the newer SirfStar III chip which TomTom I think are now using in their latest models. Performance is fantastic - picks up signal inside my house and never looses it even under trees. Got mine for about £60 from Hong Kong on Ebay.

Advantages of bluetooth is that the doodah can be placed seperately from the PDA in the car. Disadvantage is that it needs charging seperately then, although mine lasts about 12 hours so hasn't caused me any problems.

For offroad/laning it's great, but TomTom is far better for on the road navigation.

Richard