3.5efi fuel pump 1988

slm

i turn the ignition key but fuel pump doesn't run. if i put a direct live to pump it runs. if i push in flap in air flow meter when ignition on fuel pump runs. i replaced engine with a complete engine from a running rangie. this included everything ecu loom the lot. it turns over but won't fire. i have swapped ecu dissy coil relays from old engine and back again. when pump is running you can hear fuel flowing.any ideas would be great thanks

Full flapper & hotwire diagnostics in the technical archive, the behaviour of the fuel pump is correct, it will not run until there is some airflow from the engine turning.

#1 simple fault is the ECU not seeing the signal from the coil -ve, again it will not fire the injectors until it sees pulses from the coil as the ignition fires - check the wiring from coil -ve to ECU, if that doesn't work then go through the diagnostics manual.

i will check your suggestions but on all my previous rangerovers when you turn the ignition key to 2nd position you can hear the fuel pump running as though pressurizing the system up. as pressure is reached it then stops. this is why i am concerned as no noise from pump. when i turn engine over pump doesn't run while cranking. any more advice would be great but i will try whats been suggested .thankyou for your help

Later hotwire type I think do run the pump for a quick priming pulse before you start the car, but flapper does not. It should run once the engine is drawing enough air to open the flap. Check you have sparks, and check the coil -ve has connectivity back to the ECU TACH pin.