gearstick mechanism

hey guys

got a question. how do you know that the gearstick mechanism is faulty? everytime i start my landy there's a loud noise as if something is loose! like 2 metal plates vibrating and touching each other. once a give the truck a rev it stop :blink: the noise coming right where the gear stick is connected to the gearbox. can it be the spring or something else broken??

any help will be great

king regards

Thierry

hey guys

got a question. how do you know that the gearstick mechanism is faulty? everytime i start my landy there's a loud noise as if something is loose! like 2 metal plates vibrating and touching each other. once a give the truck a rev it stop :blink: the noise coming right where the gear stick is connected to the gearbox. can it be the spring or something else broken??

any help will be great

king regards

Thierry

Yes, it could be. There's a fairly big double-ended spring that holds the lever ball down (FRC7414). You should be able to change / see it from above by removing the lever gaiters. Page 411 of the parts bookmay help explain.

Are you sure it's not something else resonating? Exhaust heat shields are great for this kind of noise.

If it is from the bottom of the gearstick, then you'll need to strip the top selector of the gearbox and find the source of the noise.

if it is a broken bias spring or similar, then yes it would affect the gear change.

Could equally be something else in or near the selector that is resonating and not affecting the gear change.

There - think I've covered all possibilities with that answer :ph34r: