Relay Advice Needed

hattymender

On impulse I bought a Bosch emissions tester at a car boot sale this morning. Thought it looked a nice bit of kit but on testing it at home the pump was dead (well, it was very cheapunsure.gif ). I wired the pump directly to 240V and it works fine. So it's the relay. Further checks showed that although it clicks it doesn't make contact.

The relay is a V23127B0002-A401 mounted on a small PCB with the on/off switch. A quick google showed that these are made from rarest gold plated unobtanium.mad.gif

Plan A. Tempted to open relay to clean contacts. It has a transparent side panel, do these normally come apart or will it disintegrate?

Plan B. Wire in another relay. I'm assuming it's 24V on signal (stepper motor and various sundries suggest 24 to 28V but getting multimeter probes to relay is tricky) and less than, say, 5amp on the 240V side. Any recommendations where I could find such a thing?

Plan C. Shove it on flea bay for spares or repairs?

Depending on the age of the unit, the part may have been made by either Siemens or By Tyco Electronics after they took over the siemens relay business. The tyco website doesn't throw it up as a current part, but I suspect they will make a replacement that will fit.

Tyco will usually send out free samples if you register on the website- worth a bit of effort i'd think!

Right, had to bribe daughter to use her camera but some photos.

Circuit is too simple to draw;

Positive (240V) direct from switch to pump.

Negative (240V) from switch to relay. Then to pump from other side of relay.

Relay switched via two wires from main PCB.

Relay is physically about 27mm long, 10mm wide, 20mm high (Couldn't get rule in to measure due to clutter)

I've disconnected the small PCB it's mounted on to get photo (and bent a pin in the process)

And it's a Siemens unit inside.

post-2180-12813769056_thumb.jpg

post-2180-12813769381_thumb.jpg

Right, had to bribe daughter to use her camera but some photos.

Circuit is too simple to draw;

Positive (240V) direct from switch to pump.

Negative (240V) from switch to relay. Then to pump from other side of relay.

Relay switched via two wires from main PCB.

Relay is physically about 27mm long, 10mm wide, 20mm high (Couldn't get rule in to measure due to clutter)

I've disconnected the small PCB it's mounted on to get photo (and bent a pin in the process)

And it's a Siemens unit inside.

Further tests and it's not the relay. I rigged a relay and there's no signal from main PCB. So I slaved it to the inlet valve. Worked fine, but readings wont stabalise.

It'll make an interesting paper weight if anybody's interested?