rear winch

DefcoL

Dunno about kits. I have seen them on bobtailed discos (got no pictures I'm afraid), but that probably dosn't help you much.

It is however something I have been thining about and have a few ideas. If anything comes to fruitition I will post some pictures up but it is not something I am working on at the moment....

Cheers

Mark

Dunno about kits. I have seen them on bobtailed discos (got no pictures I'm afraid), but that probably dosn't help you much.

It is however something I have been thining about and have a few ideas. If anything comes to fruitition I will post some pictures up but it is not something I am working on at the moment....

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark.... Like me, do you think it will require a bespoke bumper? also offset ?

would be good if there are some pic's out there to study.....

regards

Lawrence

My current thinking involves either:

1) Taking an HD bumper (from discoparts for example) and chopping the centre section out. This should then leave some room to fit a lowline winch between the chassis rails in a fabricated tray of some sort, that then gets welded back into the bumper, and hopefully shouldn't stick out too far.

or

2) Making some kind of removable mount on the boot floor (possible sinking through the floor to sit on the chassis rails) with a fairlead mounting through the back door. I want this rmovable cos I still need to use the boot of the car...

I prefer option 1, but I need to do some measuring. It will also be expensive if I have to buy a new bumper and chen chop it about...

Any more thoughts, let me know.

Cheers

Mark

an idea thats been banded about between a few mates & myself was a HD bumper & fairlead. then behind that a substansial pulley for the cable & the winch mounted length ways where one side facing rear seat was. would take a bit of bracketry but would mean the winch could be left in situ without loosing too much bootspace.

I've been giving this some thought as well.

Logitudinal with a pulley is a clever idea.

I want to get rid of the overhanging bumper also, so what I was thinking involved a fair bit of fabrication.

1. Remove rear crossmember and reduce chassis rails.

2. Form new winch tray incorporating fuel tank rear mountings and acts as new rear crossmember.

3. Cut and shut rear body crossmember and strengthen.

4. Adapt a front HD bumper to fit rear.

I'm thinking of raising the body about 1.5" for tyre clearance this will help in fitting winch and also allow me to raise fuel tank level with chassis rails.

Using something like an EP9 as they're pretty compact, a 160mm sq x 600mm long winch tray.

Devon 4x4 did something similar to JJ Kealey's Disco, corners of the bumper wrapped around to the rangie spares arches, getting rid of the lower corners of bodywork aswell, still a fair bit of overhang though.

A fair bit of work but the Disco's arse does tend to get dragged along a fair bit so should be worthwhile, Hope to start aroud July time.

Andy

<_< but i'm not sure how to avoid bunching when winding in?

Any idea's?

The only thing I can think of is to mount the pulley on the opposite side of the truck, cable should (hope) spool cleanly, could use a swingaway so that it could be unclipped when not in use? maybe!?

Ideally, build something in the workshop, then you can experiment how close/far the pulley needs to be to spool cleanly.

I'm no engineer :blink: Just bouncing ideas around.

Andy

we couldnt work out how to make it spool cleanly either, thats probably why the idea seemed to stop there.

sure ive seen a spring loaded bar that presses on the wire to help it lay flat & hence spool correctly somewhere in the past, may help?

A.N. Other-Andy

I've been giving this some thought as well.

Logitudinal with a pulley is a clever idea.

I want to get rid of the overhanging bumper also, so what I was thinking involved a fair bit of fabrication.

1. Remove rear crossmember and reduce chassis rails.

2. Form new winch tray incorporating fuel tank rear mountings and acts as new rear crossmember.

3. Cut and shut rear body crossmember and strengthen.

4. Adapt a front HD bumper to fit rear.

Andy

Looking at hybrids post , seems the way to go as should be able to include normal orientation of winch.

thats if can find a workshop or skilled offroader that can do the job at reasonable rate.. and maybe an external cage.. just brain food :)