trailers

g&t

Sorry guys if this is not the appropriate sub forum for this subject but the others seem less so! I know the law requires trailers to carry a plate depicting weight ratings (& in the case of un-braked units the year of manuf.) but if I buy a trailer that's missing it's original spec. plate (they are after all only riveted on) & there is also no indication as to the manuf. what do I do? There are suppliers who sell blank plates in various formats but where do I get the relevent (spec) figures to stamp on the plate? Could it be that, in the same way as you don't buy a car w/o a V5, it's a case of 'don't buy a trailer w/o a rating plate' I know there are a lot of folks on here that 'tug' so any help would be appreciated.

No idea but first thing to check is the tpye of wheels, hitch and tyres as these will all give an indication as to its carrying capacity. Check whether it has 4 or 5 stud wheels (think it should have 5 stud to be rated to 3.5 tonnes), add to gether the max load rating on the tyres which should come to somewhere near its rated limit, and check the hitch as this should have a rated max load value on it somewhere. I am sure this will let you know the limit the trailer "should" or "could" be rated at. If it is suitable then perhaps a visit to you local VOSA office will give you the info you need to get a new plate stamped up.

No idea but first thing to check is the tpye of wheels, hitch and tyres as these will all give an indication as to its carrying capacity. Check whether it has 4 or 5 stud wheels (think it should have 5 stud to be rated to 3.5 tonnes), add to gether the max load rating on the tyres which should come to somewhere near its rated limit, and check the hitch as this should have a rated max load value on it somewhere. I am sure this will let you know the limit the trailer "should" or "could" be rated at. If it is suitable then perhaps a visit to you local VOSA office will give you the info you need to get a new plate stamped up.

Thanks for that OF, the only info I can gleen from the ad is that the tow-hitch is apparently stamped Bradley 2.6tonne. Being a confirmed cynic I'm starting to smell a rat as the seller claims in the ad that he 'can't remember the make of the trailer' but claims that it 'will carry 2tonnes' Anyway why would anyone steal (as claimed) just the plate.