free wheeling hub removal

dixe

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

I had some and I recorded the fuel consumption over the same route over a year.  It made not a jot of difference, and I never noticed any change in steering either.  They did split their o-rings and leak, despite having been fitted brand new, as well as present the problem of getting filthy to get out and lock them when unexpectedly in grotty conditions.  

The only benefit I have ever been swayed by is that of being able to select 2wd and drive home with a broken diff or shaft for a repair in better conditions, but unless you regularly put the vehicle through very hard off-road driving, in which case a pegged diff and better shafts would be a wiser mod, how often is that likely to happen?  I’m firmly in the “they belong in the scrap pile” camp.

If i can think on when i go Billing show i will flick the hubs on and drive all the way there and back and see.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...