Disco pickup?

Scruffyhippo

Thanks Guys, its a 1995 3dr 300tdi. Usual story perfectly good disco with a rotten boot floor. It was surplus to requirements and I was looking for a quick project. I wanted a pickup and thought defenders were abit short on room and I also wanted a flatbed to take a pallet. I too had seen the adverts for Longranger kits and thought that they looked cool. I did not want it for out and out trials though. I also did not want to bobtail it either. I ordered a kit and thought oh well here goes ! It was a bit daunting cutting up a perfectly good disco which only required minor welding. When I did it there was very little info available,only a few pics. But with patience and removing only small bits at a time, I got there. The quality of the kit was excellent ,though the fit was far from. with no instructions and a few pics,it left me scratching my head quite a few times. I had to slice the rear panel and ease in 2" at the top. I dont think that if you were building an offroader it would matter but mine was for everyday use as a runaround. Quite alot of it, I just fabricated what was needed. I was going to build a flatbed with removable sides but in the end settled for fixed sides and drop down tailgate as I figured this would do the job and not rattle ! My only regret is I should have painted it a different colour. I had some caledonia blue paint so used that but I should have used something more striking. If you guys are thinking of building one ,go for it, its easy and very practical. If I can help ,just ask,

Regards Max.

That was my inspiration ! If you check out the austrialian land rover owners website, there are the details of he built it. There are also many other ute conversions. You will find them mostly in the project pages. Oh and being upside down the pages work in reverse order ! But it is a fantastic website with plenty of good ideas.

I'm currently doing a Longranger conversion. As obz100 said, good quality kit, requires lots of cutting and trial fitting, but looks great when finally fitted.

Mines going to be bobtailed as well as I think the proportions look about right. Just my opinion tho'

Sort of.

The photos I do have are of the cutting stage. I have some of the cab in place, but damm phone won't let me upload.

I,ll get some on the camera next time I'm at the workshop.

It's very slow progress at the mo' due to work and family commitments.

post-5053-035709500 1284831391_thumb.jpg

post-5053-099174700 1284831413_thumb.jpg

post-5053-042165200 1284831521_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I am working on an idea similar to this on a 200tdi but I intend to use the oiginal back door as the back of the cab,

I'm still not too sure I can do it yet but if I manage it I'll post some pictures. I think I might to have to replace the roof of the cab due to rust so that could be the stopping point.

Tal