Faulty Electrics

ludylandy

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice and ideas about some faulty electrics on my 2a with 2.5td fitted.

The alternator light flickers at idle and carries on flickering when the engine is revved - fan belt tension is ok. The engine cranking speed seems quite laboured. Battery voltage across terminals tends to be 12.3v rising to 13.6v when engine is running.

In addition the vehicle has a second fusebox fitted running a rear work lamp and some interior lighting. The live to the fusebox comes direct from the battery terminal and the lights are earthed to the body. These lights now only work when the engine is running and seem to flicker with the same frequency as the ignition. Anything running off the original fusebox is unaffected.

I recently had a problem with a loose washer arcing across an uninsulated live connector and blowing fuses on the main fusebox. Now discovered this has been resolved.

Battery, alternator and starter are all less than 3 years old but I'm wondering if the recent power surges have fried something. I'd appreciate some pointers towards the likely culprit to save me replacing good parts.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian :)

The alternator light flickering sounds like rectifier diodes in the alternator, but the low battery voltage and the fact that the interior lights only work with the engine running suggest a shorted cell in the battery.

Check the cheapest things first, ie earths between the engine & chassis, chassis & body, battery & engine and that the alternator bolts are tight.

Next I'd borrow a good battery to try.

Also worth checking you've got the correct bulb in the alternator light.

Check the cheapest things first, ie earths between the engine & chassis, chassis & body, battery & engine and that the alternator bolts are tight

Wise words. Went to swap the battery for a known good one and discovered the +ve terminal was loose. One nut tightened and all fixed - Doh! Makes a nice change not to have to get the wallet out.

Thanks for advice.

Adrian