Fuel pump change - TD5 90 - two questions

GL88

My fuel pump has just given up the ghost. I know this is a common problem so I'm surprised not to have found the answer after spending a fruitless hour between the forum search and Google looking for the answer to two questions:

+ where to cut a hole in the rear floor to save the faff of dropping the tank (and to what dimensions plus how much clearance below); and

+ there is a considerable price difference between the LR genuine part (over £250) and Allmakes pattern equivalent (under £100). Can someone with experience of fitting the Allmakes version tell me if it lasted.

Thanks in advance. SWMBO is deeply grumpy about the whole thing (currently only one vehicle) so I'd like to get it sorted out as quickly and smoothly as possible!

We fit loads of fuel pumps at ours and everytime we ask the customer which pump they want fitting....we always reccommed a genuine pump....but from experience (personal and customers) all but 1 has failed after about 3-4months....then you have to buy a new pump and start the claim of trying to get a refund for the old pump.

Land Rover will sell you a Britpart pump but only give you a 3month guarentee :blink:

Says it all if you ask me.

....we always reccommed a genuine pump....but from experience (personal and customers) all but 1 has failed after about 3-4months....

Thank you. For the avoidance of doubt, please can you confirm it is the genuine ones that fail in your experience (and if so then are the non-genuine any more or less reliable). And do you drop the tank to fit (especially given you'll need to do it all over again soon afterward (if so then please can you provide the cut coordinates).

ETA: What Land Rover will warranty doesn't matter a great deal as I'm goin gto do the work myself. As soon as decide which pump to buy (and if/where to cut)!

Edited by GL88

Thanks Ozzie, I found that thread last night but unfortunatley the pics seem to have disappeared from it. I've decided that I'm going to drop the tank as I've gone off the idea of cutting through the floor.

And thanks K88 MUD, I've ordered the genuine part (good price from M J Fews who are advertising them on eBay).

Thanks Ozzie, I found that thread last night but unfortunatley the pics seem to have disappeared from it. I've decided that I'm going to drop the tank as I've gone off the idea of cutting through the floor.

And thanks K88 MUD, I've ordered the genuine part (good price from M J Fews who are advertising them on eBay).

Let us know how you get on mate :D