Wiper wiring

series3100

I'm sure when me / my old neighbour rewired the series 3 after the rebuild it had 2 speeds on the wipers, well anyway now there's just 1 and the wiring is confusing me beyond belief! Can anyone shed any light on this because the haynes manual isn't being much help either...

There are 4 wires coming from the wiper motor (well 5 if the black earth's included) and i can't work out if somethings wrong, i'v done something wrong or the switch has made it's self single speed?

Cheers, Brian

I'm sure when me / my old neighbour rewired the series 3 after the rebuild it had 2 speeds on the wipers, well anyway now there's just 1 and the wiring is confusing me beyond belief! Can anyone shed any light on this because the haynes manual isn't being much help either...

There are 4 wires coming from the wiper motor (well 5 if the black earth's included) and i can't work out if somethings wrong, i'v done something wrong or the switch has made it's self single speed?

Cheers, Brian

Do you still have the 2-speed motor? There is an extra brush set in the motor that wears out. Easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is make new brushes and replace those that are worn.

Is the switch knob connecting correctly (they do wear out, I had to replace mine recently)? You can easily test it with a multimeter. It should have two definite click points when you turn it, off then one for slow and two for fast. You won't be able to get a Lucas one now for anything like sensible money but the Hella standard three position switch with push for squirter are cheap and easy to fit.

The wiring diagram above is for single speed only. Attached is a page from the V8 supplement that includes the wiring for the two speed variant (and with 5 wires).

Pages from v8supplement_c.pdf