Having Trouble with Stub Axle Distance Piece S3

Jase

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and am in need of help. I'm busy fixing up a 1980 Series 3 109 Hardtop. I've been trying unsuccesfully to remove the distance piece on the front left stub axle using a 4pound hammer and cold chisel. It's made a deep groove in the distance piece but the dam thing won't move!

I'm sure it's the removeable type but now I'm starting to doubt myslef. I've attached a pic if someone can confirm that it should be removeable?

If it is removeable then are there any other suggestions as to how to get it off?

Thanks,

Jason (Durban, South Africa)

post-24128-070349200 1286523542_thumb.jpg

It looks just like the later stubs on my 109 as i changed them for the later type to get the oil catcher fitment. The stub in the picture has a radius at the rear of the seal collar where it meets the back flange and it has the cut out on the flange face for the oil drain from the catcher rings. So now that you have attacked it with a cold chisel its scrap.

Thanks guys. It is the later type, has same size inner and outer bearings. It was scrap before I 'attacked' it as the distance piece was badly pitted from sitting idle for years.

I have another question. Will a Stage One front stub axle fit? I've checked the parts catalogue and the part numbers for the Stage One stub axles are FRC3100 or FRC3917 (later). This is different to the Series 3 stub axle for which the part number is FRC3925. However, the part numbers for the bearings, hub seal, and hub are exactly the same for both the Stage One and Series 3 109 (post Oct 1980). The only difference I see is that the stage one stub axle has a copper bush as well as a rubber seal. Will the copper bush cause a problem?

The reason I ask is because I've managed to find a second hand Stage One Stub axle but not a Series 3 one.

Jason

Hi All,

Just to let you know, I bought the stub axle from the S3s and it's identical to my old stub axle so there shouldn't be any problems fitting it.

Thanks for all your help.

Jason