TD5 oil pressure

Wolfie69

Hi I was wondering if anybody on here can help,I was driving home from work today and noticed my oil warning light flashing.It was only a short drive but by the time I got home it had gone into limp mode and the light is on continuiously.I did the obvious and dipped the oil it was a little bit low but still between the marks,I topped it up anyway but this has not made a difference it is still in limp mode with the light on.So a.ny help would be most appriecated.Thanks

I'd advise not driving it until you've dropped the sump and checked the oil pump drive sprocket. The oil pump is powered by a chain driven from the crankshaft, and the bolt holding the sprocket in place can work loose and fall off, leaving no oil pressure. Driving it like this will ruin the engine.

What year is your Disco - the early Td5's were prone to this type of problem due to bolt holding oil pump sprocket coming loose and sprocket falling off. Complete loss of oil pressure .

However I read that anyone it happened to had resulted in a wrecked engine - no matter how quickly the driver switched off ; so in your case its likely to be something else - or maybe sprocket is just loose and giving some oil pressure .

If you know the turbos blown try this block the turbo oil feed line and push and hold the waste gate to the fully open position ! (helps stop bits off the turbo getting stuck in the cat!) and start the engine and see if the oil light goes out, this way you know if the bearings in the engine arnt gone which will save you guessing if the turbos the only problem