steering

hi there.

does any body know if you can change the drop arm off a 1987 ninety to a later type so you dont have to keep changing the replaceable ball joint.and if so what else do you change to make the steering work.

You can fit the drop arm off a disco aswell, they have a track rod end instead of the daft ball joint thing.... you'll need, the arm, the drag link, (tube that goes from the steering box to the NS front wheel! and of course the track rod end for the box end.......... oh, and it means that your steering damper won;t fit on there either, but you can relocate that to behind

the axle as per the disco if you like.......

Here's a few pic's of what you'll need to do the conversion-Basically what you see is the solid drop arm off of a discovery, a strengthened drag link bar from QT that uses a Track rod end (TRE) instead of the drop arm ball joint that you have now, And the bracket to allow you to use the original steering damper (from QT too)

This makes the whole replacing the drop arm ball joint thing defunct as instead of it taking me 3-4 hours of mucking about it takes me about 10 minutes a side especially if you copper slip the TRE when you put it into the bar

Don't forget to either get the tracking re-done or you can go onto the tech archive to get destructions on how to do it with a bit of string

HTH

John

post-16623-003987900 1288678895_thumb.jpg

post-16623-004956300 1288678904_thumb.jpg

post-16623-021044900 1288678950_thumb.jpg

just done the same conversion because of those annoying Defender style ball joint that are a paid to rebuild then only last 12months, anyway I went with a 4bolt Discovery PAS box instead of my 6bolt Gemmer unit, with the flat style drop arm that takes a TRE, Glyn Lewis Sumobars as my track rod was bent and the clamp to attach a Defender steering damper to the drag link.