will 24 spline shafts and cv's go in 10 spline front axle

Last night I broke the diff pin in the front axle of my 90. I plan on putting an ARB locker in the front and for obvious reasons would prefer to go to 24 spline. It just so happens I have a pair of 24 spline shafts from my 1994 range rover in the garage so does anyone know if these will fit straight in the 10 spline axle (of an F reg 90) with new 24 spline locker (I know I will have to change diff bearings)? Also will the C.V's swap from the 10 spline to the 24 spline half shafts?

Many thanks.

Steve.

Last night I broke the diff pin in the front axle of my 90. I plan on putting an ARB locker in the front and for obvious reasons would prefer to go to 24 spline. It just so happens I have a pair of 24 spline shafts from my 1994 range rover in the garage so does anyone know if these will fit straight in the 10 spline axle (of an F reg 90) with new 24 spline locker (I know I will have to change diff bearings)? Also will the C.V's swap from the 10 spline to the 24 spline half shafts?

Many thanks.

Steve.

From memory if a half shaft has 24 splines at the diff end it is 32 spline at the CV joint end. but the 10 spline shafts are 23 at the cv joint end. It is possible to buy a shaft (from Ashcroft) that has 24 splines at one end and 23 at the other. Thus enabling the use of the later diff with the earlier, stronger, CV joints

Guest diesel_jim

I have, in the past, run a later 32spline CD and shaft, in the front axle of my 90 (that has 23 spline CV's and ARB 24 spline diff).

the shaft and CV fitted straight in, and i ran it like that for several months with no problems.

Steve, you're almost there. The earlier CVs are stronger than the later fine spline CVs but 24 spline half shafts are stronger than the earlier 10 spline. While there are various OE shafts available (10/23, 10/32. 24/32) you will need to get a set of aftermarket shafts to match the 24/23 spline setup. You may be able to change your CVs to the later ones and use the RR half shafts but that's probably not the best soln.

I think I cant be sure its all gona fit and havn't got time to check it all out at the momas I need the 90 back up and running. Will put it back together with some soare diff bits I have left over from the rear axle!