6 bolt to 4 bolt

I dropped my steering box off today at western power steering as i happen to be in bristol over the weekend. The guy told me the 6 bolt ones are a PITA corrode and of sometimes arent worth reconditioning. Can I swap it for a 4 bolt one? I'd imagine i'd need a new drop arm but apart from that is it a straight swap or would i need other parts?

Cheers

Jethro

Awesome, cheers ralph. I've heard the 4 bolt are stronger and more reliable too. I've just talked to him and hes going to have a look to see if he can do me a 4 bolt one. Should be about £250 which isn't bad without trading one in. I wish they'd never changed to the 6 bolt for those couple of years

Also the one i have has already been reconed before

funnily enough, Im just in the process of rebuilding a 4 bolt PAS box after having previously rebuilt a 6bolter;

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=58812&st=0&p=514650&fromsearch=1entry514650

and there isnt too much in it dimension/construction wise, they both use the same Torrington bearings for the sector shaft, the assistance piston is the same size, however the bearings on the input/worm shaft are bigger on the 4bolt.

The Discovery box im rebuilding has a badly pitted input shaft bearing raceway, and a slight wear on the top of the sector shaft where the top cap fits, both of the 6 bolts I rebuilt were fine internally. The 4 bolt is a LOT harder to strip-it needed 200bar hydraulic pressure to remove the assitance piston cover from the main housing, the 6bolts were pretty easy.

So for me I prefer the 6bolt-but you cant fit a Discovery style flat drop arm with the TRE set up to a 6 bolt.

Straight change, need drop arm part number QFW000020, I've recently done this swap as I couldn't get a replacement 6 bolt box, make sure you get the 2 small 'O' ring seals for the steering box end of the PAS hose/pipe assemblies too.

Is that the standard drop arm for the 4 bolt and the one i need?

Cheers

Got my new box earlier today. Just got back from bristol (Grr M4, M25, A1M, A11, & A14 road works) The 4 bolt looks quite different from the 6, and is quite a bit heavier, I assume due to more substantial parts.

Anyway, can't recommend the guy at western power steering enough, he under promised and over delivered. He told me if I was lucky I could pick it up monday evening if not he'd post, I got a call at 12:30 monday telling me it was ready. Great service.

And now I have a 6 bolt box which he recons is ok apart from some seals to sell.