gear box

Hi all, as you can see im new to this site but not to landrovers, Ive recently bought a defender 110 300tdi its a 1993 and reverse is near 4th, I mention this as I dont know what number gearbox it has its developed a rattle in fifth which came on slowly over a long drive, Ive rebuilt a series box but never one of these does anybody know how easy it is to replace fifth gear and any tips would be welcomed

needle roller bearing is common to LT77 & R380 5th gear so my parts info shows, the actual 5th gear has a different part number though, so maybe the gear isn't interchangeable, a phonecall or e.mail to Ashcrofts would hopefully get you a definite answer.

Thanks recovery man next time im in cornwall ill buy you a pint i wasnt sure how it ran but needle roller bearing sounds like my problem because it isnt teeth i was thinking endfloat but that was so unlikely needle bearings didnt enter my thick skull been absolutely dreading what i might find, ill phone Ashcrofts monday a real weight off my mind :D

needle roller bearing is common to LT77 & R380 5th gear so my parts info shows, the actual 5th gear has a different part number though, so maybe the gear isn't interchangeable, a phonecall or e.mail to Ashcrofts would hopefully get you a definite answer.

Just for the record, although there are a few bearings that are common to LT77 & R380 boxes all gears & major components are different.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just an update on my problem with 5th gear, just stripped the gear box and found that 5th gear cog was actually splitting in two, Ive managed to swap it the part numbers were perfect.

Just 1 question I have an LT77 box off an L reg disco and was wondering is there any gear ratio advantage in swapping the transfer box while Ive got it off, I dont do a lot of off roading but I do do alot of motorway driving, any comments would be appreciated, I will try and upload photos of the splitting cog, wondered if anyone has heard of this happening, thanks tony.

post-26540-050718300 1290277982_thumb.jpg

post-26540-044156900 1290278027_thumb.jpg

just been test driving landy. Gear box fine never seen a gear split like that before, trans box works a treat it was easier to swap the complete speedo with output shaft (hand brake housing thing) only 6 bolts couldnt get speedo gear out big big thank's all you made it alot easier :i-m_so_happy: "2" lift kit now :D