200TDI

boneheaddread

Hi , right where do I start , my cambelt failed last month ( fuel leaking from a worn seal in the injector pump)after broken bolts , stuck fan nut , rounded of nuts I fitted a new belt , new pushrods ect ,had the pump fitted with a new seal ( and timed up) new glow plugs .It started first turn off the key , so I give it 100 mile test run and it run like clockwork ,lovely and smooth . Last week after loading up disco with my metal detecting stuff for a run out ,as I was driving I noticed a slight blowing ?popping noise ( sounded a bit like a manafold blow ) anyway it slowly got louder and louder until I thought the engine was going to expload , I pulled over phoned a friend and got towed home . at home I tried to start the landy , horrible poping noise engine lurching from side to side? , so I thought hole in piston ? took the head of ??? all fine . ok timing tensioner slipped ? took of the timing cover today all fine??? HELP

Hard to tell with out hearing it

.......but looking at the work you have done would put my money on a rocker has worked loose and is not opening a valve.

this can sound pertty bad and if get to the stage where the valve is opening at all then the engine will be very down on power.

hope this helps.

paul

Hard to tell with out hearing it

.......but looking at the work you have done would put my money on a rocker has worked loose and is not opening a valve.

this can sound pertty bad and if get to the stage where the valve is opening at all then the engine will be very down on power.

hope this helps.

paul

Hi , thanks for the reply, first thing that I did was turn the engine over by hand with the rocker cover removed to make sure all the valves were working ok?

MMM , think you may have been right , I have just checked the head and no 7 inlet port was black and covered in carbon all the other inlets are shiney clean ? checked the inlet manifold and guess what the matching port black , the other 3 are shiney clean , looks like the no 8 exhust valve has stopped opening so the gases have been going out the inlet valve as fuel was coming in , would that make it sound like its going to go bang ??? if it is the problem even though I have just stripped the lump down to just the block left in the landy at least I didnt leave a socket in the timing case ( thats what I thought I had done )

would that make it sound like its going to go bang ???

yep it can sound very bad. its easy done tho if you dont tighten the 13mm lock nut up enough then it works loose when the engines running and it will sound rougher and rougher unitl you have you have to stop.

bit of a PITA you have stripped the enigne as 3mins later you could have been on your way if this is/was the problem,

yep it can sound very bad. its easy done tho if you dont tighten the 13mm lock nut up enough then it works loose when the engines running and it will sound rougher and rougher unitl you have you have to stop.

bit of a PITA you have stripped the enigne as 3mins later you could have been on your way if this is/was the problem,

Hi ,yeh more gutted that I missed a days detecting!!! I kind of miss having bits of landy engine all over the front room floor!!!

no really I am a bit gutted I have stripped it all but it only took a couple of hours ,and at leat it will go back with all new gaskets new head gasket. I can give it a decoke and paint everything before I refit so it will look all clean and shiny , and should be ok for a while , thanks for the tip

john

The other thing to check is the bronze or brass push rod location devise (sorry don't know it's official name)

Basically it is the bit that push rod locates to, it is in the top of the block, you can see it when you look down the the push rod hole. (easier if you remove the push rod first.)

When my belt broke, I broke two of these and it gave the problem of a valve clearance. One of them broke up after a few miles. They are easy to replace, just undo the bolts on the side of the block.

good luck