Tow bar electrics - plug type

disco_sammy

Hello

I've got myself a tow bar off the 'bay but it didn't have any electrics with it. I've picked up a socket and some cable but just wondered if anyone knew exactly the type of plug required to plug into the point near the ofside light, rather than scotch locking it. I've found a thread with the pin layout but not the plug type. It's a W reg Td5 if that makes a difference?

Cheers

Sam

Hello

I've got myself a tow bar off the 'bay but it didn't have any electrics with it. I've picked up a socket and some cable but just wondered if anyone knew exactly the type of plug required to plug into the point near the ofside light, rather than scotch locking it. I've found a thread with the pin layout but not the plug type. It's a W reg Td5 if that makes a difference?

Cheers

Sam

The connector on the vehicle loom is a -

Sumitomo DL Sealed Series - 090/187(2.3/4.8mm) – HYBRID, 9-Way Female Housing, Part No. F(6195-0170)

post-148-042423100 1290533624_thumb.jpg

The mating half you're looking for is a -

Sumitomo DL Sealed Series - 090/187(2.3/4.8mm) – HYBRID, 9-Way Male Housing, Part No. M(6195-0173)

post-148-097981800 1290533625_thumb.jpg

You will also need 7 x 090(2.3mm) and 2 x 187(4.8mm) Male Terminals, with the appropriate Wire Seals for each Terminal (I have the Part No's if you want them )

I haven't found anywhere selling the connector shells or the 187(4.8mm) terminals in sensible quantities, only the 090(2.3mm) terminals.

1. You could do as suggested in the post above - use individual 2.3mm and 4.8mm male terminals pushed into the connector terminals but, IMHO, that's a bit of a bodge :unsure:

2. You could change the connector for a more readily available version of the Sumitomo DL Sealed Series connector -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/SMDL/smdl.html

10-Way Sumitomo DL Sealed Series 090 Connector, Female and Male -

10p090wp-dl-f.jpg

10p090wp-dl-m.jpg

This would enable you to just transfer the 7 x 090 terminals on the vehicle loom to the new connector shell and, because you would be down-sizing the Aux. Live and Earth (pins 6 and 9), double-up the earth connection and down-rate the fuse on the Aux. Live.

post-148-024116100 1290535786_thumb.jpg

3. You could just buy the Land Rover 12N Kit STC50081

STC50081.jpg

Which plugs staight in, with no fuss :P