What's it worth?

geoffbeaumont

No, not selling anything - getting a new truck in about a week, and I don't know how much to insure it for! B)

It's a base model 5 door 300Tdi disco, non-metallic welly green (can't remember the name of the colour). Manual gearbox (with worn synchromesh on 3rd and 4th). Only optional extras are a tow bar and rubber mats - it's even got the standard two speaker stereo. Done about 125k. Full service history, but not all main dealer. It has been in an accident years ago, but was properly repaired (it occasionaly leaks into the drivers footwell now - but according to the AA it's still within factory tolerances... :blink: ). Oh, M reg (one of the very first 300Tdis).

my 300Tdi 'N' reg disco, fairly basic spec but does have aircon, with 101K on the clock, and good service history, cost me £2200 two months ago... but i insured it for 3K... because they always stitch you don't they...

my 300Tdi 'N' reg disco, fairly basic spec but does have aircon, with 101K on the clock, and good service history, cost me £2200 two months ago... but i insured it for 3K... because they always stitch you don't they...

They'll only pay you what the truck's worth, even if you've insured it for more, unless you've got an agreed value policy. You just pay more for your premiums.

The thing is, 125k isn't really that high for a 12 year old vehicle and specifically for the 300tdi engine. IME Land Rovers tend to be priced more on condition than age and mileage. The full serivce history will add value.

Well, here it is. Paintwork's a bit more scruffier than it looks in the photos - perfectly sound apart from a couple of bits that need minor attention, but a bit dull. Probably nothing T-Cut and a bit of polish wouldn't sort out if I can be bothered. The steel wheels are pretty rusty, so the freestyle alloys I've got spare will be going on it - glad they didn't sell on eBay now.

The problem with the gearbox is a slight lack of oil galleries to something related to third gear, due to a draughtman's error... It caused problems early on on some trucks and so was fixed on all but the earliest R380s. Apparently Land Rover will still supply a new main shaft free of charge if it's rebuilt, but I'm guessing just keeping an eye out for a later second hand box would be more economical. I probably will do something about it, as it's an utter pig to get into third some of the time (worse when cold, but beyond that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it'll give trouble).

My parents agreed with you lot - worth about three grand for insurance purposes. Do you feel smug now? <_<

It's just like driving a tractor...

med_gallery_1_66_185226.jpg

med_gallery_1_66_594519.jpg

The problem with the gearbox is a slight lack of oil galleries to something related to third gear, due to a draughtman's error... It caused problems early on on some trucks and so was fixed on all but the earliest R380s. Apparently Land Rover will still supply a new main shaft free of charge if it's rebuilt, but I'm guessing just keeping an eye out for a later second hand box would be more economical. I probably will do something about it, as it's an utter pig to get into third some of the time (worse when cold, but beyond that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it'll give trouble).

Been reading Ashcroft's FAQs and technical page for the R380 - I reckon Dad has been confusing two different problems. The early R380s suffered mainshaft wear caused by a lack of oil galleries drilled through the transfer box input gear (I presume this means it would be daft to replaced the gearbox without also replacing that, even if it isn't currently a problem). The blocking gears sounds more like dodgy baulk rings, but looks like that should affect fourth not third (it does affect fourth occasionally, but third is much worse).