1976 Land Rover 88 inch

sharpy

Hi All,

Some of you may have read and helped with my posts in the Defender forum? Well here I am to bother you with a series now ;-)

No seriously, myself and a freind have just bought this off Ebay, and I just wanted your opinions, this may also be the start of a build thread? Anyway below is the description and some pictures that where attached, we dont pick it up till tomorrow so I'll be a litle clearer on what she needs to get her on the road

Cheers Paul

The chassis and diffs have been blasted then 3 coats of hammer right. The chassis has had a new rear cross member, bulk head out riggers, petrol tank mount, and front chassis legs. I have also fitted new parabolic spring with extended shocks. Bump stops steering ball track rod ends all and brakes and pipes and many seals and bushes. I have not run the engine since doing work to it due to the distributor no longer working. It has had new rings, big end shells, cam followers and push rods so should run sweet. It is fitted with a single carb but have a spare manifold with a twin carbs on. The bulk head is solid with a new footwall that needs altering for exhaust manifold. I have every body panel and more, some in need of work. Think the only thing missing is petrol tank and seats. This is an ideal project for someone to finish v5 there too.

post-19709-074288400 1290937977_thumb.jpgpost-19709-009522800 1290937984_thumb.jpgpost-19709-002391200 1290937989_thumb.jpgpost-19709-077405500 1290937992_thumb.jpgpost-19709-086370700 1290937996_thumb.jpgpost-19709-069312800 1290938001_thumb.jpgpost-19709-002245200 1290938010_thumb.jpgpost-19709-045053100 1290938017_thumb.jpgpost-19709-043258800 1290938022_thumb.jpgpost-19709-000749200 1290938030_thumb.jpgpost-19709-091679000 1290938037_thumb.jpg

Hi. looks like you got a good buy their and its going to be a nice landrover when finshed. All of the hard work as been done in a way but still got a lot to do. Good luck with it. Keep us up to date on the old girl.I have got a series 3 88' 1971 2.25 petol.

Looks like it should be a giggle - I guess the carb is a 4brl Holley type affair, tbh I'd consider ripping it off and fitting Megasquirt while you're putting the truck together.

Not sure what carb it has, but he does mention that their is a twin carb set-up with manifold ready to go on;-)

I was looking at that and wondering too :unsure: the problem with unfinished projects is you never know how competent the last guy was.

think i picked up on the belt thing? it should travel around the outside of the 3 large wheels and then on the inside of the tensioner?

Yes it should go on the outside of the pulleys. As it is at the moment its driving the water pump backwards! Its tensioned by moving the alternator - not sure what tensioner you're on about to go on the inside of - there isnt one!

Turn the shocks over too, and bin those god awful rubber boots!

Jon

Well she is home and safely under-cover, long wheelbase transit full of parts, so watch this space as there is a spare bulkhead and 4 wings, the dual carbs are Stromburgs as suggested(sorry if i spelt that wrong)Im very new to petrol well 4 wheel petrol. On the whole it all looks good, I was a little confused by the advert saying 2.25 v8, but the seller had not changed it on the log book its a Rover 3.5 litre,from an ambulance, so any help on the where and history very welcome as I like to find some history, must say I was really pleased as I longed for at least a 3.5 :D

So tomorrow will be some kind of catalouge day? trying to see what there is and what we need, just a little update.

Cheers Paul

If it's a carb type it may be similar to the SD1 lumps, not sure how they were tune-wise in ambulances but could be worth checking in case it's a de-tuned lump. You might have the lighter SD1 flywheel and funky clutch release bearing, and may have a different cam profile. The 3.9 cam is a very common upgrade, and swapping to RR flywheel & clutch can make life easier and improve off-road bimbling.