Lucas 128sa Ignition Switch

Davewillb

Hi,

I thought I'd sort out the instrument panel for my S2A while the weather is too bad for working outside (5" snow on the bonnet)and as someone has painted it bright blue in the past it needs a complete strip down - question is how do I get the lock barrel out of the ignition switch so I can get it out of the panel itself - its a Lucas 128SA .

Subsidiary question - what colour should the panel be, I'd assumed the same as the body but it looks as if it could have been black originally now I can see the back properly.

Thanks,

Dave

From the sound of it you have the later panel with the flick switches and warning lights in the speedo. The ignition switch should come out when you undo the ring on the front - it has 2 slots in it. The barrell may be retained by a spring loaded pin accessible from the bottom side of its mounting tube.

The later panel was always black. The earlier one with the light switch (and generally ignition key except for some diesels)in the middle and warning lights in the panel was always body colour.

From the sound of it you have the later panel with the flick switches and warning lights in the speedo. The ignition switch should come out when you undo the ring on the front - it has 2 slots in it. The barrell may be retained by a spring loaded pin accessible from the bottom side of its mounting tube.

The later panel was always black. The earlier one with the light switch (and generally ignition key except for some diesels)in the middle and warning lights in the panel was always body colour.

Thanks on the panel colour, it does have flick switches and the warning lights in the speedo, I can't undo the ring on the front because it tightens on to the wings on the outer of the barrel that the key fits into. The key is a snug fit into the barrel and it looks as though originally you inserted the key and turned it for ignition on, then turn the outer of the barrel by the chrome wings to start - at some point someone had added a push switch elswhere on the dash to replace the start function - don't know why but suspect the main switch is faulty probably,

I'll have a fiddle and see if I can find the spring loaded pin, can't see it at the moment.

Dave