series 3 109/ 200TDI defender engine

toscas

My first try on the forum.

My land rover series3 109 has a 200TDI (defender) engine fitted.

I recently drove to Switzerland and on the return journey I noticed on a stop that I was loosing oil.

I managed to get back but it was clear that the oil must come from the rear crankshaft seal and by now the clutch started to slip and the rate the oil was running out, (I had to add 5L/100Km).

What new clutch should I go for ?

I spoke with Aschcroft transmissions whon sell a Heavy duty clutch for £285. Is that worth spending ?

The vehicle is converted to a camper and weighs 3,4T.

Since the gear box needs to come out to replace the seal, anything else that might be worth replacing ?

Thanks for any help/ advise.

Cheers

A Tdi rear seal is easy to change and comes with a sleeve to stop damage while you fit it.

You don't need a HD expensive clutch, a bog standard Borg and Beck Series diesel 9.5" clutch will do.

Have a look at Glencoyne Engineering's site, there is an issue apparently with the flywheel housing and bolts being left out causing it to flex. http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di2.htm