Fitting A Hardtop to a 90

Fido

Can anybody give me advice on how a hardtop fits on to a 90

there are 4 main bolts in the corners of the hard top and then about 4-5 bolts down each side i think 10mm for bolts down the sides (sides bolted to tub) and 13mm nuts for the 4 main bolts in the corners (2 by rear door each corner 2 by bulk head one either side) its just like a big lego set.

you can put it all on together roof and sides still bolted together but will be bloody heavy so mor hands needed or do it bit by bit (van side musy go on first for the roof to sit on while yo bolt it in in the sides)

The way I do it:

1. Place the 4 mounting studs in the holes in the top of tub cappings, just finger tight.
  2. Put the two 90° brackets on, either side of the door, loosely.
  3. Put side panels on, ensuring they slot over the studs and the two brackets by the door.
  4. Add fixings for the above, plus the M6 bolt midway down each side, into the inside of the capping (uses a bracket that I always leave attached to the side panel).
  5. Did I mention leave it all loose to allow movement?
  6. Place hard-top on (2-man job ideally), and line it up roughly with screen top and side panels.
  7. Go around and put all the bolts in around the top. Quite a few (all M6 I think) to do, at the rear above the quarter-lights, all down the top of the side panels (some incorporate the seatbelt mounts) and across the top of the screen. Just put each one in place with it's washer and nut on loosely for now.
  8. Get out and have a look how it's lining up. If you're lucky it will fit, if not some pushing and shoving may be required to make things line up.
  9. Tighten the bolts across the top of the screen first (there is an extra one each side, horizontally into the hardtop, which I've never managed!), ensuring that the gap across the top is equal and closes up OK.
  10. Work down the car on both sides at once and tighten the bolts. The panels shouldn't move as the bolts are all in their holes already.
  11. Finally tighten the lower fixings to the tub. The studs and 90° brackets etc.

And don't forget your seals etc. I run a bead of silicon across the top of the screen at that join, and also between side panel and body capping.

Bit of a mission, but easy enough if you take your time! As above it's like a Lego set, albeit a very big unwieldy one. Can be a royal pig to line up sometimes. I've never had one just go on before, and the doors always seem to require adjustment afterwards too. Once I had to adjust the bulkhead position, as the windscreen frame ended up at a different angle! This then sorted out a door alignment issue I'd been having :P

The way I do it:

1. Place the 4 mounting studs in the holes in the top of tub cappings, just finger tight.
  2. Put the two 90° brackets on, either side of the door, loosely.
  3. Put side panels on, ensuring they slot over the studs and the two brackets by the door.
  4. Add fixings for the above, plus the M6 bolt midway down each side, into the inside of the capping (uses a bracket that I always leave attached to the side panel).
  5. Did I mention leave it all loose to allow movement?
  6. Place hard-top on (2-man job ideally), and line it up roughly with screen top and side panels.
  7. Go around and put all the bolts in around the top. Quite a few (all M6 I think) to do, at the rear above the quarter-lights, all down the top of the side panels (some incorporate the seatbelt mounts) and across the top of the screen. Just put each one in place with it's washer and nut on loosely for now.
  8. Get out and have a look how it's lining up. If you're lucky it will fit, if not some pushing and shoving may be required to make things line up.
  9. Tighten the bolts across the top of the screen first (there is an extra one each side, horizontally into the hardtop, which I've never managed!), ensuring that the gap across the top is equal and closes up OK.
  10. Work down the car on both sides at once and tighten the bolts. The panels shouldn't move as the bolts are all in their holes already.
  11. Finally tighten the lower fixings to the tub. The studs and 90° brackets etc.

And don't forget your seals etc. I run a bead of silicon across the top of the screen at that join, and also between side panel and body capping.

Bit of a mission, but easy enough if you take your time! As above it's like a Lego set, albeit a very big unwieldy one. Can be a royal pig to line up sometimes. I've never had one just go on before, and the doors always seem to require adjustment afterwards too. Once I had to adjust the bulkhead position, as the windscreen frame ended up at a different angle! This then sorted out a door alignment issue I'd been having :P

if you do as above then you will bee fine, work your way down little bit of pulling and shoving but it will line up just dont forget there is 2 screws in the windscreen frame which can be a pig to get in i left mine out as the rest of the bolts is more than enough to hard it all tight and secure.