Can tyres be the same but branded different?

Rich_P

Since having a mild incident I'm looking to get another tyre, and one has come to my attention which is the same pattern but different brand. Can a tyre that has the same pattern on two brands still be the same tyre but merely badged different? To be more accurate, is the Olympic tyre with the Michelin XCL tread pattern the same as the Michelin XCL but otherwise just stamped with Olympic instead of Michelin?

firstly are u in uk ?

if so u can run mixed tyres as in some European countries u cant generally tyre companies don't make tyres for others and just rebrand them

they are likely to be different compounds as companies have different methods of manufacture so you may well find that the wear rates maybe different between the other 3 but there is nothing illegal about this as long as the tyre meets construction and use and is able to meet ur vehicles requirements ie speed rating load rating and marked and in date via dot code but u cant mix cross ply with radial

hope this helps dazwell24

A very quick google suggests that Olympic are a welsh remould outfit doing re-runs of other manufacturer's patterns, so it may well look like a Michelin XCL (it may even be the carcass of one) but I doubt the quality will be the same.

If you want proper Michelins, army surplus places like Vass have stacks of them for reasonable pennies.

Thanks people.

FF, I'm running Michelin XCLs at the moment which came from VASS. Problem is one of my tyres were destroyed recently so I needed another, and I wasn't keen about the £50 or so VASS charges for delivery if I was just getting a couple of tyres. I can't go and collect the tyres either as that's even more expensive.

I'll sort sonething out, and perhaps this is an ideal excuse to pass on the remaining good XCLs and try out another tyre. :lol:

Thanks again!

Ive just ditched my XCL's not because of tread depth but because the side walls had cracked so badly. Now running insa turbo special trac and I couldn't be happier with the change. Surprisingly tyre noise is less, steering is lighter and handling is better (especially in the wet). Haven't had the chance to try them off road yet but I doubt I'll have any complaints there either.