Larger 18" tyres for Disco2

q-rover

I had 265.75x16 tyres on my P38, but the 'new' Disco has come with 2 sets of 18"

alloy wheels. Anyone running larger tyres in 18" flavour and if so what size?

I am hoping to get something similar to 265.75x16 and 255.70x18 seems nearest

although a few mm taller.

How will an untuned (at the moment) Td5 cope? (Probabaly badly). Never really

noticed the difference in the RR.

Thoughts, views, experiences, or just generral comments please.

Many people, including me, wouldn't recomend 18" or larger alloys on a D2 as generally they don't ride or handle well on larger wheels. The 18" alloys have been know to tram line badly and generally give a harsher ride.

Presumably if you had 265/75/16s on the RR then they were an AT or MT pattern, which will be very limited on 18" sizes.

Size wise, I run 255/70/16 on my un-tuned D2 and the performance has suffered noticeably (not badly, just you notice it, particularily when loaded). My tyres work out as 30" OD, compared to 29" standard. Your 265/75/16 would be 32" OD and a big increase for the little Td5 to cope with. With tuning or a transfer box change they would be fine.

To be honest in the 3 weeks I have driven the vehicle (owned for over 3 months, but that is another

story <_< ) I don't find the ride bad.

It will just be a pain and more expensive to buy 9 new tyres and wheels (16") rather than just new

tyres, even if I can sell the other wheels and tyres.

Hi, I have 265/65/18 bfg at's on my D2 . I have removed the egr and have a straight through midpipe but no tune (yet) . It labours a little off boost but with careful use of the clutch its ok and I'm used to it. It's not 100% ideal but fully loaded with 3 adults , dog, luggage and Christmas presents its the same .... had to wind the steering stop out a turn but other wise I'm happy . Give good under diff clearance too !

H T H

Cheers, Phil.