ACE light - no fault showing?

jameslwt

As per a post/topic I started a few days back regarding airbags and ACE, my 2002 td5 has gone back to the garage where I bought it to sort out some warranty issues.

I have just spoken to them and asked about the ACE light as it comes on (amber) on some journeys - normally after about 30 miles or so. It goes off when the engine is switched off and then restarted. This is the third time that the car has gone back in for this, and each time, including today, they have said they cannot find a fault recorded on the diagnostics and ECU.

Can I ask - is this possible? I would have thought that if a light come on, it must record something? Just concerned that they are trying to fob me off with this until the warranty runs out, and I really don't want to get stitched up with a problematic ACE system. Or do i need to try and get a 'live' fault recording? (is that possible?)

Thanks

James

yes - any fault light on the dash will generate and store a code.

Unless the garage is using rubbish equipment to read the codes - such as some generic 'freeware' obd2 reader software and chinese made connector lead - then it will be visible.

Incidentally i have tried several different bits of software to read the codes on my D2 td5 - none of which worked correctly. (elm327, digitaldash, wOBD and others) Most will give you real time data on revs etc, but none would read the specific landrover codes or even display them, i think its because of the proprietry way landrover wrote the BCM and ECU coding.

Hi James, can I ask, do you get an audible warning 'bong' when the ACE light comes on?

I had some weird faults come up on mine while driving long distance in France before Christmas that came and went, I think due to the effects of hot running gear and cold air causing sensor/connection faults. I had ACE, TC and ABS faults during the drive at different times. On disconnecting and re-connecting the sensors at the ACE valve block and header tank I have not had a re-occurance (I also did the same on the ABS sensors and everything cleared).

Also, just a stupid one, but check the fluid level in the header tank!

Hi Rich - hope you're well (and the family)

Nope - no audible noises that I've noticed.

I'll check the levels though to be sure. If it comes on again (when I get it back - they got quite shirty today saying they would only deal with major things under warranty now - i reckon ACE is fairly major imho)I might get a friendly local garage to look at it, then go from there.

Cheers

James

Hi Rich - hope you're well (and the family)

I'll check the levels though to be sure. If it comes on again (when I get it back - they got quite shirty today saying they would only deal with major things under warranty now - i reckon ACE is fairly major imho)I might get a friendly local garage to look at it, then go from there.

Yep, all well thanks, and growing at an alarming rate!

I'd agree that ACE is pretty important, I ripped a line out the valve block once and ran the system dry for 100 miles, the result was new pump, new valve block and new line. Over £1000 damage :o