110 TD5 Front Axle

Hi all,

Since buying my first defender I've been having a read and it would seem that general opinion says that the TD5 front axle isn't up to much?

My question is if I fit the 35" tyres I have taken off my broken RRC am I going to be emptying my wallet faster than I can top it up?

Thanks,

Mick.

A google search produced this:

The only thing inherently weak with the Td5 axle is the CV joints.

I say "weak", well, they're weaker than the earlier 23 spline (commonly referred to as the AEU2522 CV's),

but: This "weakness" kind of comes from the area of people who use rovers for challenge events and such. for general off roading, green laning or overland they will be 100% fine (after all, LR are still fitting them to the even more powerfull 2.4 TDci engined vehicle)

I've got the same axle as you're looking at, under the front of my chipped-to-175bhp 110 with front ARB locker and 255/85 tyres, and they're fine.

Like i say, I think you'll only start to see problems if you'r hoofing around on 35" simex tyres.

Not sure if that helps Mick ....

Also some good info posted by Nige on here about axles changes : H from H info

Td5 (and 300Tdi) axles also have 'thin' hubs. The spacing between the wheel bearings on the stub axle is less, so there is more loading on the bearings themselves for a given force at the wheel.

Perhaps worthy of consideration if you are planning on running big tyres. I myself am going the other way (I have wide hubs and stub axles here, and will be converting to thin ones), but mine's not for off-road competition or silly big tyres :P