How much can I cut in a 300 head?

carlosbeldia

Thanks a lot for the link. We know there are a lot of things we can do the manual rejects, but we don't have the experience... seriously you can weld a TD5 head? that's one of the best news I have received this year. Everytime I take my car for a long trip I'm afraid it will be the last....

TD5 heads crack at the inlet on no 1 cylinder (mostly). These are easily weldable. They also crack inside the injector housings. These are fixed here by boring out the injector hole and inserting a liner. As the heads cost a fortune it is always worth a go to try to fix the things. What you need is engineering shops that are prepared to try. With 300Tdi heads we don't bother as you can get good new ones for not so much money.

I'm sure I've had a lot more than 0.08 taken off, the guy had done dozens if not hundreds with no ill effects. In fact the one I skimmed and put a cheap gaket on has been more reliable than the brand new head I fitted with genuine gasket, though I suspect the nut behind the steering wheel is to blame there.

TBH what have you got to loose? the cost of a skim and a gakset against £300 for a new head?

We have to rectify a damaged 300 head. How deep can we go? manual says only 0.08, but we think we can go further...... any ideas?

I have recently had 12 thou taken off mine due to HGF, as long as the valves are relapped to the same depth there should be no concerns,

http://www.northlincseng.co.uk/

these boys did mine oposite Manby playground..

head skim, new valve guides fitted, valves reground and 4 injectors checked and cleaned - £270

HTH

Paul