200tdi dip stick length

jad

Sorry! Im still not sure! :huh:

Right I have put a 300 turbo on my 200tdi discovery engine in my 90..... The discovery dipstick no longer fits. it is possible to make it fit with bending it but the nut on mine wont budge independently to the dipstick tube and its now a bit knackered....

So my dad had a defender dipstick tube which i have nicked and i ordered a dipstick for it. this one dipstick . firstly could someone confirm that is the right dipstick please?

I measured this up to the disco one that came out and low and behold they are different lengths! I have searched through the forums and found western saying that the the tube should measure 295mm from the top of the nut to the top of the tube. Now thats all very good assuming the dipstick is the correct length.... Here are some pictures of my new dipstick and the tube.

Here you can see my dipstick tube is about 330mm overall and 288 from the top of the tube to the top of the nut.

post-19190-0-62095100-1295644016_thumb.jpg post-19190-0-56927300-1295644031_thumb.jpg

The dipstick is 414 to the High mark, 426.5 to normal and 436.5 to the low mark from the bottom of the "bell" at the top of the dipstick.

post-19190-0-19454500-1295644040_thumb.jpg post-19190-0-22048500-1295644489_thumb.jpg

and in the last pictures is shown the distance from the bottom of the olive to where the dipstick goes. about 158/9 mm

post-19190-0-11496300-1295644050_thumb.jpg post-19190-0-89716900-1295644064_thumb.jpg

So is this right and my disco dipstick had shifted? I cant see any marks on it from the olive moving and I definitely cant move it. Even if i do get this right i may well end up buying another disco dipstick tube and bending that as i dont like the sealing method provided by the mushroom top on the dipstick tube!

(in all this i am assuming that the defender and disco dipsticks sit in the same place and should poke into the sump the same amount as each other)

So does anyone know how far the low mark of the dipstick should go past the olive?

I will of course when i come to fill it with oil do it by measurement and then see where it comes to on the dipstick.

Thank you for you help

Jad

your new dipstick is correct, it's common to the 2.5 petrol & diesel engines including the older TD & Defender spec 200Tdi.

measured my dipstick tube fitted to engine, so try that & remeasure 295 from top of tube to top face of the nut is what you need,

I can measure the dipstick for you in the morning if you want me too.

the bell on the top should have a 'O' ring seal on the top of the tube, never had any oil come up the tube on my 16 year old high mileage engine

one of the previous threads

LR tech bulletin link in my reply in this dipstick thread

Hi Western thanks for the reply. If you could measure your dipstick to the the marks that would be great (I did have to be cheap and get a replacement one :rolleyes: ). From where my nut sits on the dipstick at the moment, i dont see myself gaining an extra 7mm there though....

cheers

Jad

Will do it as my first job in morning,

watch this space for a answer :D

Measured my Defender 200Tdi dipstick as promised, refer to the attached sheet for the details.

you'll note that the measurements you got

The dipstick is 414 to the High mark, 426.5 to normal and 436.5 to the low mark from the bottom of the "bell" at the top of the dipstick

are virtually the same give or take .5 mm thats due to my tape measure only being marked in full mm.

I can't check how far the dipstick is protruding beyond the end of the tube, as it means disturbing the tube on my engine, provided the part numbers match as per the links above, everything should be OK.

this should be the tube you 'borrowed' ERC8980 & photo below

post-20-0-16618200-1295692711_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-94946200-1295693184_thumb.jpeg

Hi western

thanks for the reply.

I was just about to ask if you got around to doing it as i didnt get an e-mail cos you edited your post. seems my new dipstick is ok then but im not sure about the tube.

I dont fancy trying to move the olive on the tube as im pretty sure it will ruin it, but i suppose i dont really have anything to lose.

Cheers

Jad