Earths – how many and where

Frax

Do you get a good earth on galvanising – I am going to need to earth hopefully a galvanised bulkhead to a galvanised chassis and them to the engine and gear box.

Have I missed anything of is it a case of the more the better.

Frax :unsure:

Here is the RAVE earth map:

post-10578-0-49922400-1295723440_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth, I was going to make my own earth harness when I came to putting my 110 back together. Each of the earth points listed above (as well as the engine block etc.) would just terminate on an insulated stud, with a decent sized cable linking them all and then back to the battery.

I'm hoping that by not relying on the body for an earth return I can reduce potential for electrolytic corrosion and future electrical issues.

Here is the RAVE earth map:

post-10578-0-49922400-1295723440_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth, I was going to make my own earth harness when I came to putting my 110 back together. Each of the earth points listed above (as well as the engine block etc.) would just terminate on an insulated stud, with a decent sized cable linking them all and then back to the battery.

I'm hoping that by not relying on the body for an earth return I can reduce potential for electrolytic corrosion and future electrical issues.

I think that's a really good idea - and its relatively cheap. I have noticed the HRW s don't perform very well, and it relies on earthing through the door hinges. Not sure whether it does the hinges or the performance of the HRW any good to rely on that. There are so many earth problesms it has to be an improvement, even if it's just you now know the earth path. BTW pun intended 'I can reduce potential for electrolytic corrosion and future electrical issues'? :)

Nigel

Not intended, but works quite well anyway :P

My 90's HRW loom doesn't earth through the hinges, there's a wire going back into the vehicle loom where it earths with the rest of the rear lights at the rear body earth point. Another reason for my thinking is that I plan to electrically isolate the body from the chassis where possible, through use of rubber washers etc. Clearly this would cause issues for earth paths :)

PS. Frax - I assume you'll be painting your galvanised bulkhead and possibly even the chassis, so any earths will have to break these coatings to achieve good continuity to the metal underneath. The zinc coating of the galv. should conduct fine though.

Well the chassis is already powder coated so I will have to find a good point to fit an earth bolt.

This should have been done before the galvanising I suppose as I dont really want to drill any holes if I can get away with it so I might just have to clean an area where a bolt already goes through the chassis, might use the gearbox crossmember.

Good idea about isolating the body from the chassis and I dont think it would be hard to do, but to do without an earth path would be an achievement but it is worth a go.

Frax ;)