Discovery Cancelling Indicators

DDO173

Hands up who has a 300 series Discovery with indicators that dont cancel....

OK hands up who has found the solution to fix this common fault.... because until now I had searched all over without finding an easy way.

Well I decided enough was enough and had the wheel of a second time to investigate.

For those of you with the fault but are unaware of its cause: on the back of the steering wheel is a plastic collar, originally it had a plastic lug that sticks up and catches a correspoing lug on the smaller indicator cancelling wheel. It is the fist lug that breaks off as it was never really made of much.

I had hoped to someway build this back up with something but when you see it, there is nothing much left to fix to in most cases. So instead of building up something coaxially I made my own lug perpendicular to the axis, out of an m3x5 hex spacer (PCB type); although any threaded fixing of simialr dimensions could be used, like an M3x10 screw with a few nuts put on first.

Drilling and tapping: on the side of the metal boss (with the splines and taper) inline with the top of the steering wheel measure 5mm down from the edge of the boss then with a 2.5mm drill bit clamped quite far out in the chuck (otherwise it fouls on the steering wheel plastic) drill through the wall of the boss going carefully so as not to make too much burr when you break through the inside wall. once through clean off any bur inside with a suitable file, otherwise the taper with struggle to grip properly. The tap out to M3 and screw in your pillar/substitute. When i was happy i'd got it all right with a trial fit i put some lock-tight on the threads to make sure it stays.

reassemble back onto the column and your done!

Can post pics, if people wish to see.

• 3 weeks later...

any chance?

Hi,

My mate had this snag on his 300 TDi Disco the other week.

Bought the "slipring/indicator repair kit" (STC 2910) from our local main stealers and fixed it in about half an hour.

Only cost about £10 and sounds a lot easier than the above palava.

Scrumps

any chance?

Fair point scrumps, I wasnt aware the part/repair kit was available let alone the part number. However after have a quick look around the net at the usual suppliers it seems to come in at about £40. My repair took me about the same time and cost me next to nowt.

I'm not advocating 1 way or another just the options are there now.

• 2 weeks later...