VCU Support Bearing Assembly

RJF

Hi,

I'm in the middle of sorting out the nasty grinding noise on a '01 TD4. The prop is off and dismantled and the VCU support bearings have been pressed off.

My question is about the "flinger" - the folded penny washer/shield that sits between the viscous coupling and the support bearing. The ones on the VCU were a bit mangled and were facing the VCU (large gap between the flinger outer edge and the support bearing face. The replacement bearings are supplied with two of these flingers each (GKN bearings), yet the car was fitted with one each per bearing.

How should these flingers be fitted (facing in or out)? I would have thought that facing in would keep any additional grease in, and more crud out.

How many of them should be fitted to each end?

The workshop manual says to pack the bearing area with heavy grease, but with each end open wouldn't this just get flung out before I got to the end of the road?

What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Rob.

post-27569-0-04961000-1296756297_thumb.jpg

post-27569-0-82964700-1296756307_thumb.jpg

Fit as per your 2nd picture, flinger facing away from the bearing, and I believe the bearings are sealed units so chances are Mr Haynes has been copy-pasting his bearing-fitting text from an older manual.

The flingers are there to deflect the worst of mud & stones from the bearing/seal, not to hold grease in.

• 1 year later...